The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question about assassin snail

i put 5 in my 50 gallons tank which have tons of pond snails (i think over 300:frown:)

i barely see them come out and i dont see any decrease of pond snails

what should i do to increase assassin snail start assassin?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
861 Posts
How long have they been in there? Mine took a day or two to start assassinating. Also you may not notice it right away, I actually never seen mine feed for almost 8 months, but I knew they were from all the empty pond/ramshorn shells on the substrate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had put them in for at least month or 2
i do see some empty shell

so for 300+ pond snails, how many assassin snails should put in to see a huge drop rate?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well they only eat one snail every day or two, so it may take a bit of time. Just be patient the more they eat, the more they reproduce and before long your 5 will become 20 and you'll have even more snails being eaten.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Actually I don't drink! Sake is short for Forsakenone I use to play FFXI online and well people tend to shorten names to make it easier to type.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i had the same problem. i put about 10 of them in my tank and the pond snails won the battle by a long shot. it got so bad i recently dismantled that tank and started a new one.

seriously dont wait for the assassins to get rid of the pond snails. i would seriously recomend baiting them with algae wafers and continualy picking them out by hand, as many as you can on a regular basis.

i started with a few pond snails, let it get out of control and before i tore down tank recently i'm guessing i had well over a thousand pond snails.

i think the assassins are definately worth having as a helping hand and i would recomend adding a couple dozen of them at minimum. maybe even more. they will eat other stuff if they run out of snails but i wouldn't worry about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts