The Planted Tank Forum banner

Assassin Snails... Bad for a Shrimp tank?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mgamer20o0 
#1 ·
Okay... I jumped on em.

Today while on my trip to Seattle I found a fish store that had Assassin Snails for sale, the first time I've ever seen them. I bought two of em. Placed them in my shrimp (Cherry and Bumblebee) tank which suddenly has way too many ramhorn snails.

Seems to be a bit of controversy around these parts saying that these AS will eat only dead shrimp, but I just found a place that said that they'll catch and eat live ones, too.

Does anyone here have any experience with AS and shrimp? Are the shrimp safe with them?

Thanks!
Rob

#2 ·
I'm not saying it's impossible, but common:) A shrimp caught by a snail had to be a retard. I read stories where people swore they saw assassin catching a live shrimp, but for me this chance is less than 1%. I'm keeping assassins with RCS and I've never saw anything like it.

#5 ·
Thanks, all... Guess the shrimp will be safe, then... and Mgamer, you're right about the Cherry shrimp... I notice a new batch a babies at least a couple times a week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.