The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought three assassin snails to take care of some pest snails. It was only a matter of time till they thrive and multiply.
To me it just looks unsightly and I would love to get rid of them. How big do they have to be for me to be able to get store credit? Also, how long will it take?

Edit: Getting snail eating fish isn't an option since my tank is already overstocked

Body of water Underwater Nature Vegetation Organism
Body of water Underwater Invertebrate Nature Coastal and oceanic landforms

·
Registered
963 Posts
Your pictures are pretty cloudy but those look more like Malaysian Trumpet snails than assassins. If your LFS gives credit, just take a few in and ask them about size

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your pictures are pretty cloudy but those look more like Malaysian Trumpet snails than assassins. If your LFS gives credit, just take a few in and ask them about size
Hi, I did some reading and yes, its possible that these are MTS since there are so many of them but they're live bearers and I'm seeing a lot of eggs on the glass and plants. Here's a more detailed picture:

(sorry my phone is quite old)
Body of water Invertebrate Nature Organism Blue
Body of water Invertebrate Nature Organism Liquid

Here are some eggs:
Night Nature Vegetation Organism Branch
Body of water Night Nature Underwater Organism

Still, I'm not ruling out the possibility of MTS in my tank since I just got some plants in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The top picture is an assassin. I can't tell about the others. My assassins lay eggs on plants and décor not the sides of glass. Also assassin eggs are more squarish. That could be an egg, but also reminiscent of limpets. I have had outbreaks of those too. I don't like them. I will sometimes squish them and let my shrimps have a snack they love. Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The first photo does look like an assassin snail. In addition to 2 thin antennae, assassins have a thicker tube as shown in your photo that sticks out as they move around. MTS don't have this tube and instead have something that is more obviously identified as a head/mouth.

The first egg photo doesn't look like an assassin snail egg. The case's edges seem too round compared to what I've seen. Assassin snail eggs look like a see-through rectangular packet with a solid round egg in it. The second egg photo doesn't have enough detail for me to comment on.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. On the upside, assassins are in demand in Toronto so you should be able to sell them. I'd buy small ones myself.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I agree with the others. The 1st pic looks more like an assassin but the other looks like MTS.

Here's an entire video of assassin snail eggs. You'll see them right at the beginning so no need to watch the whole thing unless you care to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts