The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some of these from someone on here a couple months back. They came in great shape. I dropped them in the tank, and they quickly slipped off into the plants. I haven't seen them since and the pond snail population has exploded. Where do these guys hang out? Can I assume they are dead since I haven't seen one or do they hide in the dark spots?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
mine hide pretty good i got 4 in a 40 b but if i go in i can randomly see one every know and again but in a heavy planted tank can be a pain depending on the layout. How many did u get an for what size tank? I only had one to start an it took a little befor I noticed he was doing a great job then got a bunch for a friend and kept 3 more they do work i still havent seen him get one but i know for sure i have a good 80-90% decrease in snails mts pond. good luck if there in there they are killing for sure!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got 5-6 and put them in a 75 gallon. The snail population has gone crazy. Some of my plants look like little Christmas Trees with snail light bulbs covering them. Maybe the snails slid off into the plant to die.

I'll try to find more. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
712 Posts
These guys are notorious for disappearing for days/weeks at a time - even in my little 20G. But they're usually alive and kicking. I dumped a few snails from the LFS to see if my guy was still alive...

Half a week later, all of the shells were empty - snails consumed. I did see him out and about after that.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Depending on how many pest snails you have, your assassins are probably living it up in the substrate. I raise them and they do die like everything does eventually but they are hardy and as long as there is food around you should not have to worry. But do not expect your assassins to totally eliminate your pest snails unless you toss in an army of them. One adult assassin eats about 1 pest snail every other day. Smaller assassins eat pest snails their own size. Adult assassins will bypass smaller pest snails on purpose or so it seems, to leave for their little ones. So you need assassins to breed and have a population of each size to really go after the pest snail problem. Until your assassins breed they will only eat adult pest snails. Once they breed and their young eat tiny pest snails you will notice the difference.
I have 19 tanks. I am now in the market for buying MTSs to feed my assassins, something I never thought would ever happen. It took 3 years but now I am almost out of MTSs and that is not a good thing either. BTW they will eat pond snails before they go after MTSs.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Check out your tank at night. Other than that, dont expect to ever see them. They like to hide in the substrate and move very fast. If you have a large aquarium dont plan on ever seeing them until they start reproducing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
BTW they will eat pond snails before they go after MTSs.
They will also ignore all snails if there is bloodworm around regardless if it is frozen or fresh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.