The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me tank full of Blue Velvets, lots of teeny babies and a berried female. I've not kept shrimp before so I'm feeling pretty good that they've survived the move to my house.

Turns out this tank is infested with snails. The whole tank is generally a hot mess. I'd love to removed everything (retain the water) and start with new substrate so I can get lots of plants in there.

Should I wait a month or so, maybe the babies will be big enough to catch? Higher population means if I lose some, I should have some leftover?
Should I just toss in a couple of assassins and make sure to remove as soon as the snail buffet is finished?

Is there another way, better maybe? I do have another totally new planted 5 gallon that I'm in the process of cycling. If that helps. Thanks for your advice!

Bump: And while we are at it, can you name this brown shrimp? There are two in with my blues

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
It'll take some patience,as in,it won't happen overnight,but you can freeze a piece of organic romaine lettuce,so it'll wilt.then tie it down or use a rock to hold it,and change it every morning.The snails will be attracted to the lettuceand come out with it each day.to me,that was way easier than tearing the whole tank down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll take some patience,as in,it won't happen overnight,but you can freeze a piece of organic romaine lettuce,so it'll wilt.then tie it down or use a rock to hold it,and change it every morning.The snails will be attracted to the lettuceand come out with it each day.to me,that was way easier than tearing the whole tank down.
So just remove the lettuce leaf and the snails on it daily? I can do that! Great idea, thanks!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fenbendazole will kill snails, but be aware that it will probably make it impossible to keep any snails until the water is completely 100% changed and that the dead snails will rot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fenbendazole will kill snails, but be aware that it will probably make it impossible to keep any snails until the water is completely 100% changed and that the dead snails will rot.
Will the fenbendazole keep the snails from rotting, or did I misunderstand?

Would the rotting snails or fenbendazole affect the shrimp at all?

How difficult would it be to break it down and start with new substrate? It needs to be thoroughly cleaned. Is there a guide to this?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fenbendazole will not affect shrimp, but it will not prevent rotting.
Shrimp generally do not like large changes, so if you need to clean the substrate clean it a little at a time (around 10% water change or less) with a gravel vac

·
Registered
157 Posts
In your shoes, I would change very little and get the tank clean and reduce overfeeding and your snails should go down on your own. You could also manually pick some off when you see them. That will minimize stress on your already stressed shrimp. The snails really won't hurt anything, and they are just a symptom of a neglected tank (which is why I am guessing it was given to you).

Also your brown shrimp is likely a more natural colored of the same species. They come up when selectively breeding for color. If you have another tank and you really want to keep your blues vibrant you should probably move her.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Do not get assassins. You would need an entire army to make a difference. You will more effectively remove snails by baiting them like mentioned above with a lettuce leaf. I use a fresh leaf and make it sink via a plant weight. I found it best to put this lettuce inside a small flower pot saucer so when I pick up the saucer with the leaf the snails that drop off remain in the saucer and I can remove many more that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.