The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for almost a year now I've had a very large mass of pennywort floating at the top of my 55 gallon tank, and I hate it. I'd like to get rid of it all, but it shelters most of my anubias and crypts from direct light from my finnex 24/7. Is it possible to remove it all without issue, or am I asking for a huge algae explosion? Would it be better if I try to establish a different nicer looking floater (RRF, DWL, frogbit, etc.) and remove it slowly as the new floaters take over?
All opinions appreciated!

Thanks!
-Canis

·
Registered
649 Posts
You will upset the balance by removing it from your tank. If you are dosing ferts, you could just cut back on them. Turn down/raise your light for the anubias. You could try another floating plant if you want, but it kind of sounds like you're done with them. If you're not, then I would just trim out sections of the pennywort until the floater takes up that space, and just remove a chunk at a time to not upset the balance too much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I don't mind floating plants, I just hate the pennywort LOL. Looks like a big tangled up mess in my tank. I think I'll try finding floaters to replace the pennywort and take it out chunk by chunk like you said. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.