The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized i never started an official thread on this.
It's my terrarium. 10gallons, 7$ strip light from HD, whisper internal filter. 50/50 setup land/water.
Flora:Java moss, mondo grass, ribbon plant, pothos, am.sword.

Fauna: 1 firebelly toad, 1 firebelly newt, 2 red claw thai crabs, some feeder guppy/endler hybrid guppy babies.

It used to be ugly, with some randow pilles of rock and weird wood arrangement.
well, today, i got sick of it!
I tore it down, took everyone out, and rescaped it.
it looks great now.

I made a iwagumi kind of rock arrangement, and soem wood arrangements, covered all the open dirt with java moss.

anyway- pics.

And red claw crab fights!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O yea, the glass never gets clean, my water is hard enough to break your bones from a 4ft fall!

·
Registered
246 Posts
It seems that you're off to a good start with your paludarium; however, you should consider converting it into a single species enclosure. I've heard waaaaay too many horror stories of people coming in to find a newt without a foot, or a firebelly with a ruptured stomach (from swallowing something sharp, like a crab.) It sounds like you've had them together for a time, but don't let that lull you into a false sense of security- if you visit www.caudata.org/forum, you'll see many stories of people who found their perviously "passive" Anuran struggling to swallow a newt. Anyway, I don't want to be too terribly negative, but this is something that you should consider about this setup.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i considered that from the start. I originally wanted a firebelly terr. with fish, but then i found the newt.
I have done this before, successfully. then i added a pacman toad(newb mistake, over 10yrs ago) and all hell broke loose.
When i added the newt, i watched them together for about an hour the first daY(i have no life) and about 15-30 minutes a day for the first week.
same for the crabs.
The thing that put my mind at ease is they inhabit different niche' s in the terrarium. the newt is almost always hiding in the water, if not, he's exploring. but he never exits the water, ever. While the toad does sometimes enter the rim of the water, he mostly stays up out of the water on the land.he likes the front, center of the land section, i've seen him call from a rock there before actually.

the crabs were put in there for neccesity. they crawled into the filter of my aquarium, so i put them in here. the run from any and everything but themselves. one is rather terrestrial, but the other is both, but i have spotted them both in the water and on land together.

Future plans for this include:
lots more flora-
I want a rabbit foot fern, a small aroid, and a lot more, too much to name w/out writing it down.
I also want to add some more to the aquatic section.

fauna: i'm pretty happy with the fauna, but if anything, i want to add another Bombina and some ghost shrimp, along with a couple pond snails(like i need to infest another tank with them!)
I would add an anole, but it's a little wet for their likings.

De'cor:
I want to add a background, possibly cork, possibly the great stuff method.
not happy with the "waterfall". may revise it. I'm thinking about upping the lights, but everything grows well enough, why waste money?
When i make a humidifier fogging system for my vivarium, i want to split it with this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts