The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into my LFS yesterday and asked if he had any SAE's or Oto's he then said what are SAE's!! I am a fish newb and I know what SAE's are. Anyway, I then said they are siamese algae eaters. He proceeded to say that hedid have asian algae eaters and proceeded to show me them. This one had a long body was white and black tiger striped and was very active. He said it grows up to 10" but very slowly. You can tell it was clearly some kind of algae eater from the shape of it's mouth.

I know this wasn't an SAE and I don't want a ten inch fish in my aquarium so am not getting it but was just curious if anyone knows what it actually is?

·
Banned
582 Posts
They were probably CAEs or Chinese Algae Eaters. You do NOT want them in your tank.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
One in your tank is fine. I have one in my tank and it does a really good job eating algae, but if you put two together they will fight. I had 2 and now I only have one because the one still alive killed his pal.

·
Registered
888 Posts
They were probably CAEs or Chinese Algae Eaters. You do NOT want them in your tank.
Great answer.;) Juvies are fine but you'll have trouble catching them soon as they mature. They get more aggressive as they mature and will stress other fish due to their boisterous nature and habit to suck slime coats.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably have him order me some SAE's and Otos to start off with.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm wondering if it had tiger stripes if he could have totally missed the mark and shown you a clown loach!
Tina, if you were referring to this quote...
This one had a long body was white and black tiger striped and was very active. He said it grows up to 10" but very slowly. You can tell it was clearly some kind of algae eater from the shape of it's mouth.
..CrazyMidwesterner has identified perfectly the body of a CAE. There are various patterns but they're all the same. Not a clown loach judging by the sound of this quote.:smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts