The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something I've been growing floating for a while now in my hospital tank before I decided to convert that into a betta home, and decided to try to "scape" with it. It grows incredibly well, has no roots, is kinda ugly on its own, but when put together in a bunch has a very... earthy, light green, natural feel that I don't get using Java Moss or Riccia (it came to me tangled in riccia, btw.. probably just a few strands. I didn't notice it until it was growing out of my riccia attempts)

Anyway, here's a pic, with a drawing of it right next to it in red, hopefully it helps. I've been wondering what the heck this stuff is for a while now.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Bladderwort can be a pain. Not surprised as I have a Ricca mat tangled with this too... :)

If you like it great. Have fun but don't let it get out of control.

If you hate it be ready for a fun eradication season. It takes forever to pick it all out.

It will grow in cold or warm. Low or high light. Kind of roach like qualities. :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Riccia/Pellia/Utricularia gibba

The triumverate of plagues on a planted tank. Algae can be gotten rid of. Algae is transient. With these 3, the better your plants grow, the better they grow.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
yakes a lot of picking.....what a pain~
I even talk myself into liking it, but I don't...lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hee... there's nothing wrong with it! it looks kind of... primitive... like... ancient kinda. to me. I like it because it makes my five gallon look like i picked it out of the stoneage or something. If only I had a dwarf apatasaur or something to put in there with it, it'd all suit itself. :) So, it's bladderwart, eh? I kinda figured it was something "invasive" and detestable. I just figure it's working out rather well for my betta. I've also got it living in the overflow of my angelfish tank. it floats so it's <i>probably</i> not going to clog my filter stuff... But it's main purpose in the overflow is to stick out the slits so the angels don't jump in there anymore. they're probably too big for those shenanigans by now, but I'd rather not find another one in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts