The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone into art? I know art appreciation can vary from individual to individual, whats appealing to one, might not be to another. A friend of mine does artwork and I convinced him to set up a website and facebook page to show it off and to try to sell some of his pieces. He didn't know how to handle that part and asked me to do it. I hand't done any kind of web design in years, so it was a chance for me to learn it all over again and help him out. Plus in return I started doing websites for other people. So it's now a little side business of mine. Anyways, I thought I would post a link to his site and see what others thought of his artwork, and the website in general. I still have to finish the online store. Also, like I said, I'm just trying to help him out and don't know much about the art world. Does anyone know or have any suggestions for a artist as far as getting their work out there for others to see?

The website is here

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll recommend he try out Etsy as well. I've told him to try to get into the art scene here, which I don't know anything about, but I'm sure there is one. I pretty much told him it's like the music business, which I do know about. You have to mix and mingle and come across the right people at the right time. I think my friend is like me though, he doesn't like doing all that crap. That's why I left the music business. I could care less about rubbing elbows and carrying on fake conversations with people, just to try to sell my sole to the devil..... I mean the music industry. lol

thanks for checking it out though. Do you have a link to any of your wife's artwork?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Both the website and the art look good! :thumbsup:

I also cut my web design teeth making a site for my girlfriend Stef, who is a full-time artist:

http://www.artbystef.com/

And we have also sought the advice of other artists on how to be successful. Most don't have a clue, really. It either happens or it does not. There is no magic formula to become the next George Rodrigue, for example. What the heck is the appeal of Blue Dog, anyway? :hihi:

The only useful advice we've ever heard, and I quote it exactly as it was stated to us, is:

"Spread yourself like horses**t."

Aside from the obvious venues like Ebay and Etsy, most of what you do to try to get your art seen and purchased just won't work. But every so often something will. And it's frequently not in the way you expect. Something you did months or years ago and have totally forgotten about may suddenly bring new customers. Got an email just today from someone who runs a flea market booth, inquiring into purchasing her art for resale, after seeing it someplace we'd given up on last year.

It's helpful if you have a niche few other artists occupy.

And especially helpful if it has a community attached to it. Stef's staple is ferret art. There's a small but passionate community surrounding that. The existence of her art spreads by word of mouth. Many of her customers are repeat buyers. There may be a similar niche for your friend's lizard art, and many ways to benefit from it.

For example, if any major herpetology association contacts you and asks for art for a benefit raffle, send them something either free or discounted. Great way to get your art in front of a bunch of people who don't know you exist, and good karma too.

Or forums. Stef also isn't the elbow rubbing type, and is a bit computer challenged. So she doesn't spend time on ferret forums. And we didn't want to join them just to advertise, because that would be cheesy. So instead, we had fun producing a ferret music video, put some of her art and a website plug at the end, and posted it on Youtube. It's linked near the bottom of our homepage. While it has a modest number of views, there were identifiable spikes as it was discovered and shared by each new group of ferret enthusiasts.

It all adds up, albeit slowly. There's a major veterinary journal that's soon going to run a feature article on ferrets, and uses matching art for their cover. And when they searched, we came up. Now Stef's art is going to be on the cover, and will be seen by yet another group of new people.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Thanks! I'll recommend he try out Etsy as well. I've told him to try to get into the art scene here, which I don't know anything about, but I'm sure there is one. I pretty much told him it's like the music business, which I do know about. You have to mix and mingle and come across the right people at the right time. I think my friend is like me though, he doesn't like doing all that crap. That's why I left the music business. I could care less about rubbing elbows and carrying on fake conversations with people, just to try to sell my sole to the devil..... I mean the music industry. lol

thanks for checking it out though. Do you have a link to any of your wife's artwork?
she doesn't have anything currently for sale, but here are 3 items she sold on etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/herorunner/sold
I will ask if she would mind me sharing a few pictures of some of her other work.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the website and the art look good! :thumbsup:

I also cut my web design teeth making a site for my girlfriend Stef, who is a full-time artist:

http://www.artbystef.com/

And we have also sought the advice of other artists on how to be successful. Most don't have a clue, really. It either happens or it does not. There is no magic formula to become the next George Rodrigue, for example. What the heck is the appeal of Blue Dog, anyway? :hihi:

The only useful advice we've ever heard, and I quote it exactly as it was stated to us, is:

"Spread yourself like horses**t."

Aside from the obvious venues like Ebay and Etsy, most of what you do to try to get your art seen and purchased just won't work. But every so often something will. And it's frequently not in the way you expect. Something you did months or years ago and have totally forgotten about may suddenly bring new customers. Got an email just today from someone who runs a flea market booth, inquiring into purchasing her art for resale, after seeing it someplace we'd given up on last year.

It's helpful if you have a niche few other artists occupy.

And especially helpful if it has a community attached to it. Stef's staple is ferret art. There's a small but passionate community surrounding that. The existence of her art spreads by word of mouth. Many of her customers are repeat buyers. There may be a similar niche for your friend's lizard art, and many ways to benefit from it.

For example, if any major herpetology association contacts you and asks for art for a benefit raffle, send them something either free or discounted. Great way to get your art in front of a bunch of people who don't know you exist, and good karma too.

Or forums. Stef also isn't the elbow rubbing type, and is a bit computer challenged. So she doesn't spend time on ferret forums. And we didn't want to join them just to advertise, because that would be cheesy. So instead, we had fun producing a ferret music video, put some of her art and a website plug at the end, and posted it on Youtube. It's linked near the bottom of our homepage. While it has a modest number of views, there were identifiable spikes as it was discovered and shared by each new group of ferret enthusiasts.

It all adds up, albeit slowly. There's a major veterinary journal that's soon going to run a feature article on ferrets, and uses matching art for their cover. And when they searched, we came up. Now Stef's art is going to be on the cover, and will be seen by yet another group of new people.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the compliments on the site and the art. I'll pass it along.
Wow! Very impressive stuff on her site. I like a lot of her stuff!!
Thanks for the info as well. Pretty much what I've been telling him. I equate everything to the music business because that is what I pursued for forever. Then I realized it didn't have much to do with talent and was mostly about kissing peoples asses and stuff. I realized how much I hated it and how much it took the fun away from making music, so I said so long.

she doesn't have anything currently for sale, but here are 3 items she sold on etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/herorunner/sold
I will ask if she would mind me sharing a few pictures of some of her other work.
I like the stuff on the etsy page! Nice! Would definitely like to check out more.

If I had the money I'd be a big art collector, as I love all kinds of art. One day maybe!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I love artwork and doing artwork. I'm not great at it, but my best art comes unintentionally. A lot of it is inspired by music, I guess. I always catch my self creating something great while listening to music. Doing anything else, my artwork isn't great. Your work is great Brad! I like it a lot!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love artwork and doing artwork. I'm not great at it, but my best art comes unintentionally. A lot of it is inspired by music, I guess. I always catch my self creating something great while listening to music. Doing anything else, my artwork isn't great. Your work is great Brad! I like it a lot!
Thanks! Not my artwork though. I just made the website. :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it was great to see what we could, nice site and great art, must have been fun to make a site like that for something so cool:)
Glad you enjoyed it. I did enjoy making the site and learned alot along the way. I ended up doing some more websites and thought about doing it as a business or side hobby. However, everyone interested in any graphic or web design doesn't want to pay anything and I don't want to work for free, so I guess there goes that. lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
I love art! I'm not so much as a traditional painter but would love to get better at it. I'm more focused on digital art since I want to get into 3d modeling. Try checking out DeviantArt.com. It's a very large community and has a wide range of different art styles. There is also an option for selling..not sure how it works though since I don't use it. There is just too much competition when it comes down to art.

As for me, I want to get into game/film art. Mostly for character/creature design. I love fantasy and scifi art!

Here is a character sketch I'm starting to paint in photoshop. Character is mostly inspired from comic style but painting it will change it up a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
BradH - I like your White Tree in your landscape portfolio. I like a wide range of Artists From Peter Max to Cro-Magnon pictographs.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love art! I'm not so much as a traditional painter but would love to get better at it. I'm more focused on digital art since I want to get into 3d modeling. Try checking out DeviantArt.com. It's a very large community and has a wide range of different art styles. There is also an option for selling..not sure how it works though since I don't use it. There is just too much competition when it comes down to art.

As for me, I want to get into game/film art. Mostly for character/creature design. I love fantasy and scifi art!

Here is a character sketch I'm starting to paint in photoshop. Character is mostly inspired from comic style but painting it will change it up a bit.
You're doing that in photoshop? Nice! I couldn't draw a stickman with a pen and paper. lol I have done some digital art with Photoshop and Adobe firewerks though.

BradH - I like your White Tree in your landscape portfolio. I like a wide range of Artists From Peter Max to Cro-Magnon pictographs.
Thanks, but that's not my art though. It's a friend of mine's website. I do like that tree though myself. I almost bought it from him the other day. lol I'm no artist though, except musically. I just did the web design.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts