The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm poor college kid on a severely limited budget, I can't afford to drop hundreds on plants or supplies. However that doesn'tkeep me from practicing my aquascaping skills.

My mother is in love with my 30 gallon planted guppy tank. She wanted me to do something like that in her 55 gallon, very dimly lit community tank. Knowing she was not prepared to make the investments neccessary to make her tank look like the ones I've shown her in books and here...for mothers day I gave her the next best thing. I went to and arts and crafts chain store and bought like $60 worth of artificial plants. I took them home, rinsed them really, really well and I spent th next 4-5 hours creating this...

Although it's all fake, and you don't get the true awe you get from a beautifully planted tank, I still really am happy with how it looks. Dear Mother wouldn't have the patience to put up with maintenence on a tank like that, but she can still have that look.

What do you guys think? Tacky...or a good way to practice design on a dime, so to speak.

~Adam

·
Registered
477 Posts
it looks really nice, but u do know that plastic plants cost more than real ones
an they dont really need that much maintenance

defo a good way to practice but your obvious scaping talents are wasted, im only 16 and i use real plants, some people such as resguy are younger!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have several planted tanks of my own, I'm all about live plants...but for mothers day I couldn't afford to get her all the lights, plants, CO2, etc and it would certainly be more than the $60 spend.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think it looks very nice and a nice gesture on your part. I know everyone here is all about live plants,including me, but some people like the look but not the price and maintenance. Im sure yoour mother is very happy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Very nice! Can't ever go wrong with a Buddha if you ask me. It just has that 'tranquility' thing about it. The curving substrate is a really nice touch, drawing the eye along from the statue to the palm fronds on the right.

You know, a non-aquarium person would probably look at that and think 'wow!' more than if they saw a real planted tank.

Have you added any ramshorn snails in there? The micro-rough surfaces of plastic plants are a magnet for algae and very hard to clean I've heard, so recruiting some help may be a good idea.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
if you limit yourself to the fake plants they sell in pet stores then yeah, your tank is gonna look like crap. if you integrate many of the plastic and silk plants they sell in craft stores, then the possibilities are endless as long as you don't get carried away and start "growing" underwater tea roses :biggrin: besides good filtration and avoiding over feeding, a way to reduce the brown gunk from forming on plastic and silk plant parts is to dose your tank Monthly with Chemiclean red slime cyano bacteria remover which may be an "off label" solution, but it works!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Doesn't look bad at all. Not feeling the plastic Buddha, but to each his own....

For some cool plastic plant scapes, check out www.aquariumdesigngroup.com's gallery.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
NIce scape with the fakes.
they are making it easier, the people who make plastic plants.
they now have hairgrass, you should do a foreground.

·
Banned
582 Posts
I love this tank! Great job!

Not everyone can keep live plants, and I think this is a great example of what can be done with silk plants.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think it's a great idea and executed superbly.

Aquariums in hospitals and such take this same approach. It's too much trouble to always be doing maintenance on a tank in a place like that. But it does really add quite a bit to the look of a tank to have some plants in it, real or fake.

Great job

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks suprisingly pretty good. Two problems with the design. The fan leafed plant looks very fake to me. Also, the green/white varegated plant is probably a simmulation of Dracena sanderiana which doesn't grow underwater. It's a house plant that takes a few months to rot when placed underwater. Everything else is OK.

I used to use fake plants in my goldfish tank. They would eat real plants and I wanted to have a place for them to hide out if they wanted to. The weakness was that the goldfish still managed to yank out the plastic plants, even if I weighted them down with heavy, iron washers!

The other problem is that algae will coat the surfaces of these, so you will want to get an algae eater or three to keep them clean. It's the coating of crud on the fake plants that will also look very different from a like plant tank. Let us know how this aspect works out for you.

It's possible that easy-to-grow plants could work out better in the long term though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.