The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That was me last year trying to get some Miracle gro organic soil. I'm sure you'll find some readily available.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I finally cracked the egg. No more wood and a hell of a lot of space now. Not sure I am liking the Center Island feel but I am going to let it grow out and see what happens. I saved a large bunch of Buce for future usage in the corner right now.

If not I know a few people here in Town that would be happy to get a hold of it. Picture forthcoming.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The 5lb Pressure Drop

As stated, I was on vacation this week, one of the items on the list was clean the Atomizer (done today) and refill my CO2 Canister (Tuesday morning). I decided to fill Monday and Tuesday with errands and things that needed to be done, opening up the rest of the week for my pleasure.

Late Tuesday morning, nearing the end of my errands, I had my Canister refilled and returned home. I put everything away, fully intending to concentrate on getting my Aquascape redo done before the evening. I know this going to be a long job.

Found my Adjustable and started to hook it up, then started working on the final part of the Aquascape. Tuesday was the day I set for doing this. Knowing that I will be more than a few hours, I decided I am going to hookup the CO2 but not turn it on until I am complete.

As I started working on the tank, a delivery... my Stainless Steel Lily Pipes. Oh joy! This is going to be an Aquarium day for sure. I have caused enough ruckus for one day, and the new filtration and lily pipes still sit in their respective packaging (after a good inspection).

I tore the tank apart, it was a long process and only glued my fingers together three times, a new low personal record.

Finally, after all is done, plug in the Solenoid to my power bar! Voila! CO2, new look and done. Boy was I tired. By the time I left the room, I had a dull headache.

Clean up was just as long, and tiring. Now remember, this tank is in a dedicated room which houses my home office.

Fast Forward to Friday evening, I noticed very little bubbles coming out of the Atomizer and my CO2 Canister gauge reading volume in the middle of the Red Area. Weird. I adjusted the handle (sometimes I forget to turn the handle all the way, which in this case was at half) and everything returned to proper values.

While I was in there, was getting a dull headache again, I have been super busy and chalked it up to just being really tired. Going to relax for the rest of the evening

Saturday, I was out until 3pm. I left at 6am in the morning and had a full day of things to do. Once I returned home, powered up my computer and realized, I need to feed the fish as I give them a small feeding before big water change day on Sunday.

I open the door and immediately notice that the Atomizer is not producing any bubbles and my headache is returning. Weird.

Jiggle the line, try adjusting pressure, moving the handle, nada. Tank is reading empty. Impossible, I just put 5lbs of CO2 in on Tuesday. This lasts me months at a time.

I closed the handle on the Cylinder and went downstairs to get my adjustable. When I returned, I sat down, headache again.

I put the adjustable around the nut and turned, it was less than hand tight.

In fact, the adjustable spun around and hit the wall. Oh dear god, I did not even tighten the nut. The headaches I was experiencing was CO2 levels in the room. It was now 3:45pm. There is no way, I can get my canister refilled until Monday.

I immediately opened the window and fresh air started to fill the room, my headache went away. Also on my list, a CO2 detector for the room. That was pretty scary, and stupid.

My life is never without lessons learned. I did manage to accomplish a few things today:

• Cleaned the Atomizer. This requires it being placed in a baggie of bleach and shake it up for 5 minutes. Then placing it into another baggie with water for another 5 minutes. Then, finally, placed into a container with water treatment + water, followed by a sustained rinsing under the tap before re-assembly and installation back into the tank.
  • Cleaned all the glass and walls of the Aquarium
  • Siphoned as much debris and will continue to do so, sure looks nice without plants carpeting the substrate. I do not think I will be ready for Corydoras until either December or the New Year

Realizing that I have an insane amount of Buce left even after shipping quite a large portion of it

I will take a picture later on, still have not decided if this is the look I originally intended. Mind you, I need my CO2 going again and let it grow out, but I am thinking more rocks, would make it more spectacular.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Correct, I started to thread it, was distracted (which is pretty easy for me) and forgot to finish tightening all the way. It was tight enough to make a connection, but not enough to ensure no CO2 bleed.

Scary. Since I was off work this week, I had no reason to go into the room other than feed the fish and do some checks on the tank health, did not even think about CO2 until the low bubbles on Friday.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have some doosies... some epic fails.. we have all been there. Though that was scary. We forget sometimes what we are working with can harm us.

The President of the local Aquarium society was poisoned by Corals in his Marine tank.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was being absent minded (as usual). I also had the room sealed since I was on vacation that week. It was a series of events that led to the final cause.

It was a great reminder that some of the items we use, can harm us, respect and pay more attention. Now that I have a CO2 detector in the room, I have greater piece of mind. A simple precaution to alert myself the next time.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Today's session, 40 Minutes

Simple cleaning of the tank, changing of the water and restart.

No more CO2 issues. Had the CO2 refilled Monday and I ensured everything was tight and snug. The CO2 detector is plugged in close by the Aquarium. This way I will get a pretty quick warning if anything goes amiss again. Gives me shivers realizing how bad things could have went. Life lesson.

The Eheim 2213 and the Stainless Steel Lily Pipes are awaiting the arrival of the Hydor ETH 200W Inline Heater. Once I get this final piece then I will redo the hardware. Afterwards, a member of the Local Aquarium Society will receive my Eheim 2211 and Lily Pipes (plus all accessories that came with them).

Gauging how the Blyxa is growing, it will not be a tall plant. It seems to stop at 4 - 5", which tells me, more than enough light hits it. The Buce I will continue to keep bundled up in the corner (this will be used on my future rockwork) and each cleaning will give it a good shake.

I call the the pile, Mount Buce (named after Mount Bruce Michigan)

Also, a change of location. As in current location/house, is in the works.

I live in a large home by myself. I only occupy a small percentage of the actual living space and have been considering moving for quite some time. I have decided that I am going to move into the City ('Burbs of course) and size down a bit. I admit I will miss the views off the Lake, especially during storms but this big old house has always felt "empty".

I never utilized all the space, the current house was a snap purchase for future plans that never worked out.

While I am going to continue to move forth the Aquascape, I am hesitant about adding rockwork which I know I will need to move (Apr 1st 2021 is the target date). So my goal, for now, is to continue with the current look and see how it grows out.

Album today was Blue October's "Foiled". Such a great album.

Gary

·
Registered
66 Posts
just curious about you decision to employ a 200w heater on this tank? are you currently heating the tank? what is the target temp for the tank?

love the rasboras! and the tank is looking great!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Target temp is 76-77, the reason for heater -- one less thing in the tank, more space for Aquascape. As you can see the current heater is pretty darn obvious.

The Blyxa is not going to grow as tall and even with the rock work, there will be no way to conceal it. Therefore, if I have an inline, problem solved.

Thanks. Will be posting some pictures shortly.

Gary

·
Registered
66 Posts
sure enough! i see it in the middle back there... i have one of those heaters in a box upstairs but, never put it on the tank. not sure why i never installed it

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

The Blyxa is starting to grow out quite nicely and getting red tips, which means, more than enough light is hitting it. Going to let it grow out and no more changes until Apr of next year.

The last thing I want to do is put in all the rockwork only to tear it down again. I would rather do it once than twice.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Todays session: 34 minutes

Once again, simple clean of glass inside/outside, change of water and retweak the Aquascape. I remove all the buce from the rocks at the front, really needs to be misplaced there. It will look better when I build my faux rock mound with the Buce attached to that.

Blyxa is starting to propagate like crazy. I had to throw away two huge mother plants today, literally no room for them right now.

The grow out is going as planned, I believe my idea having it rocks focused is a great idea. It's just getting to the new place to initiate Phase II.

Todays album was Draconian' s new album (four years in the making), "Under a Godless Veil" that was released on the 30th of October. If you are a Lacuna Coil fan, you will enjoy this band as well.

"Sorrow of Sophia, Sleepwalkers and Claw Marks on the Throne" are favorites on this album.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
30 Minute Session today

I will admit I am losing some steam when it comes to Artificial Island. It is not lack of interest or upkeep but fighting the urge to rescape, knowing that I will have to break it down again that seems to be curtailing any further progress on the tank.

While I am letting the Blyxa grow out, the Buce is starting to spread again my enthusiasm to keep the Aquascape static is starting to wane. The hard part is resisting to forge ahead and worry about the breakdown later.

Work has been extremely busy and the last few weeks, more and more of time has become dedicated to it. Along with Weekend calls with issues. While I usually field one or two a weekend, the frequency and numbers are increasing with relation to how busy things are becoming. This is supposed to the "Project" time of the year.

Standard water change, glass cleaning and debris clean up. I would love to see a small school of C.habrosus swimming around but I know I have to wait for that as well.

This weeks album was "The Great Fleet of Echos" by Throes of Dawn.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Simple 34 minute water change today. Scraped the glass inside with my "Debit Card" from long ago, cleaned up a few of the rocks and simple general maintenance.

During which, I lost power due to the high winds (more like gusts) moving through my area. Tank is on autopilot, though I am going to get at least one Amano Shrimp for the tank. I believe the task it does the best is something I need considering I only have one Red Cherry Shrimp left.

Why I cannot keep Red Cherries is a puzzle to me and makes me hesitate about getting an Amano.

NO music, just silence, performed the rest of the maintenance in the dark.

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
For me, it was a 1 and half hour inconvenience, though I did have to charge my phone via my car, but hey, it was not the end of the world.

Yeah, I heard that the Detroit area still has a lot of homes without Power. If you can, get a battery operated bubbler for your tank and if need be, wrap you tank in a towel to keep heat in.

Gary

21 - 40 of 81 Posts