The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 55 gal set up and running with plants for 6 months and I finally got around to adding fish to the tank about a week ago. I got 6 Zebra Danios and 2 Bala Sharks...(which I was planning on getting a bigger tank for in a few months. )
In 2 days my first Bala died, I thought it had sufferred a little bit of trauma when the guy was fishing her out...but now I think she had tank shock instead... today about 5 days later, my other one died. Both started to have trouble and swim "upside down" I did the whole drip drip method and had added cycle and stress coat to the tank.

the Zebras are 100% fine however, zipping about the tank, eating well....
the parameters are all within normal limits, the temp has been about 76.

I would like to get some more fish, but I am afraid that I'll kill them too!
Are the Danios just more hardy? Any advice on what I did to cause the demise of the poor Balas?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I have the regular api test kit so I was testing pH, nitrites, ammonia, nitrates, etc....nothing was all that odd.

It all looked really regular. pH was maybe not the best at 6.5 but thats usually where it is. No ammonia, and sadly I cant remember, I should keep a journal...

I am going away for Thanksgiving, so I think I will wait until after that to add some more fish. Maybe I will just have an all danio tank!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Bala sharks are famous for 'freaking out' and they HATE pH change (even at a drip). You might want to find out what the pH is at the pet store and if it is way diferrent from your tank find a new store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.