The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I added some Argentine Sword (Echinodorus argentinensis) to one of my tanks. I really like the look of this plant, and it took to my tank a lot better than some of the others I have added in the last few months. However, I can not find a whole lot of information for this particular variety of Echinodorus. Does anyone out there have any care tips or advice regarding this sword? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I you got it at petco/petsmart in a tube, it is probably a peace lily(bog plant). I forget the Latin name.
Actually I got some of the peace lily (Spathiphyllum wallisii) from Petco under the name Umbrella Plant, and this is definitely the Argentine Sword. I was kind of mad about the peace lily as well as the mondo grass, white ribbon, and something they called 'coconut plant' not being true aquatic plants and being marked right on the package: Aquatic Plants. When I compare the two in person, the peace lily has a sort of waxy texture to the leaves which the sword does not have.

Have you typed in Echinodorus argentinensis into google...Tons of info out there.
I did find a few bits of info on the Argentine Sword on the internet, but most of the info other than the photo appears to be incorrect. Here is an example: http://www.fishlore.com/Plants-ArgentineSword.htm Several sites listed it as having a maximum height of 18 inches; another user here on the forum recently posted that it got to something like 3 meters, which is a huge difference. I have checked the 'reputable' forums on the web and there is no plant profile for this particular sword species, and the places that sell it only list info that helps them sell it, which can often be less than useful. Is there a site in particular that you may be able to recommend?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Here's a quick quote from a book I found:

In Rataj's classification Echinodorus argentinensis is in Section Cordifolii, Subgenus Echinodorus. Other authorities question the specific rank of this species. Emerse leaves erect, long-petioled, 80-120 cm long. Blade ovate, at the tip shortly acuminate, at the base abrupt, or regularly oval, at the tip blunt or incised, 15 - 26 cm x 7 - 15 cm wide with 7 - 13 veins and distinct pellucid lines. Submersed leaves on short petioles, blades oval or ovate, on both ends acuminate or blunt. This species has two forms.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can find more info on it if you search Rangeri Sword. It becomes really big really fast.
I googled that and got a bunch of usable info- thanks!

i've had success keeping it like any other sword, deep substrate with fertile soil and snails to stir up the substrate around it. though I'm not a fan of the plant it grows fast for me even in a quarantine tank
Good info, appreciate your response.

Here's a quick quote from a book I found:

In Rataj's classification Echinodorus argentinensis is in Section Cordifolii, Subgenus Echinodorus. Other authorities question the specific rank of this species. Emerse leaves erect, long-petioled, 80-120 cm long. Blade ovate, at the tip shortly acuminate, at the base abrupt, or regularly oval, at the tip blunt or incised, 15 - 26 cm x 7 - 15 cm wide with 7 - 13 veins and distinct pellucid lines. Submersed leaves on short petioles, blades oval or ovate, on both ends acuminate or blunt. This species has two forms.
I saw the quote from Rataj somewhere but cannot remember where. But yeah, this was the sort of info I needed.

Once I searched for the alternate (correct?) name, I got the right plant info. Thanks to those of you who responded, I did find what I needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.