The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If you mean a Ca reactor, no, but you can use the canister and regulator. You might need to buy a good needle valve and a bubble counter. If you already have a solenoid on it, that will help.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Just dawned on me what you're talking about. You don't need to run carbon, consensus is it steals nutrients from plants. It can help clear up water in a pinch though, so save it. You can also run it right after setup to stave off algae from wild nitrogen spikes, eventually it'll exhaust and become biological media.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Activated Carbon, no. I replaced with Purgion (sp) and that is a great alternative.
I use purigen as well. Stuff works great. It removes toxins just like carbon does, but it doesn't strip out nutrients that plants would need.

It also keeps the water crystal clear. Works almost as good as a Diatom filter if you ask me.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Seems Purigen (which I absolutely LOVE in my UN-planted tank) will drain your planted tank of the necessary nitrates...

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Seems Purigen (which I absolutely LOVE in my UN-planted tank) will drain your planted tank of the necessary nitrates...
Purigen does remove organic waste from the tank so any organics that would be a source of nitrate are removed. However, the KNO3 that we add, if I recall correctly, is inorganic so it's not removed by Purigen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I personally love running carbon. And as stated before. The life cycle of the "activated" carbon isnt that long, I believe It is only a week, that is at least what I have read. So after its life cycle is done, it makes for a good biological media. Which will eventually get clogged.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Any chemical that you add to your tank (in terms of KNO3, K2SO4, etc) is inorganic and will not be removed by either activated carbon nor Purigen.

The trace mix contains various chelated metals, so it will be removed by activated carbon. It is supposedly not removed by Purigen.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I contacted Seachem Directly when I first started using Purigen and they specifically said that (unlike carbon) it will not remove any compounds that are beneficial to plants, it will only remove particulate matter (like tannins) and toxins.

I did not ask them specifics as to what it will/wont absorb, but their email support was pretty fast if anyone wants to try and get more detailed info.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Man I wish I had that. I wouldn't have to dose KNO3 then. Is there any reason why you don't want nitrates in your planted tank?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts