The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to confirm what I believe these two plants to be. Java fern and baby tears? The java fern was $1.99 for a 2'' specimen and the baby tears were $4.99 for a 4'' specimen. I just got them yesterday. They are in a 10gal with two 3'' comets. The comets are just in there until spring when they go back into the pond. They is 30 watts of flourescent lighting. Will they be ok with that? Should I use ferts and CO2 also?

·
Registered
705 Posts
one is a java fern no doubt the other looks kinda like glosso but a good chance it is actually baby tears.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
definatley glosso. Notice the round leaves and how there is only 2 leafs per node.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I just read the profile of the glosso on this site. It seems my 3 watts per gallon is not enough for this plant. Is there something I use temporarily to keep this plant alive until I can get the proper lighting? Like a shop light? I have a very high out put standard shop light. I need to find it to determine the specifics, but I’m afraid if would get to hot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe it's just the photo, but doesn't it look a little tall to be Glosso? Mine doesn't seem to get any taller than an inch or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Then I'm thinking your original guess of Micranthemum umbrosum may be correct. Maybe I'm wrong, but if the pot is a standard pot it's about 2-inches tall, making the plant 3-inches tall. I've never seen 3-inch tall Glosso.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I see pots of glossostigma being sold high like that all the time. Have you seen glosso tanks, but in bushes rather than a flat field? It's actually pretty cool. I'm guessing they don't REQUIRE high light, but its preferable that they stay flat.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but if the pot is a standard pot it's about 2-inches tall, making the plant 3-inches tall.
that sounds about right.

I've never seen 3-inch tall Glosso.
What is the max height the glosso gets? I'm hoping it isn't glosso because I would from what I read its need very high lighting, grows over everything and is a foreground plant. I wanted something with height and I have low lighting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, if it is Glosso, it sure hasn't been grown properly. I'm guessing poor light and a lack of ferts might get it that tall, but grown properly it shouldn't get taller than about an 1 1/2".

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's a beautiful carpeting plant and yes, it can get out of control if you let it, but then again just about every plant has to be trimmed if grown properly. If you want a plant with similar looks that grows tall try a Creeping Jenny. It's very hardy and doesn't need high light. See the far right corner of my 110 Gallon.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i think it looks kinda emeresed to me thats what i noticed first but i also have seen 3 inch tall glosso.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey cornhusker,

I lower the lights on my tank and take the photo at an angle to the glass without using the flash. Camera is an Olympus 8 megapixel. I also take many photos until I get the ones I want by experimenting with the different settings the camera offers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.