The Planted Tank Forum banner

Are these the same species?

1412 8
I bought these fish from my local pet store, and I specifically asked for what they were calling "porkchop rasboras". But the issue is they had a number of different rasboras all in the same tank, including the porkchops, glowlights, and harlequins. Some were really small, so they may have been the porkchops, or glowlights, but they also may have been very young harlequins. I wasn't too concerned at the time, and considering they are all peaceful and look similar, I'm still not worried just more curious. I think they may all be the same kind, but one is a female and all the rest are male? Or maybe it's the other way around?

In the picture the one that looks different is in the red bubble, and the one in the blue bubble looks like all the other fish. The different one is a slightly lighter orange, and the colouring only goes up to about the gills, while the other ones are almost completely orange and a very deep colouring. They are about the same size.

Sorry about the blurriness, I couldn't get them to sit still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
First off, great coloring on those fish!
I've got a small school of these guys in one of my tanks, and some of them do definitely look more orange/yellow than the others. I'm not sure if it's just the way the light is hitting them at that moment or if the individuals are really a different color (I suspect the first one), but yours do look like they're all the same species. I'm unfortunately no help on the male vs. female coloring, sorry :/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor confused fish

I actually spent all afternoon on Google images looking at both Trigonostigma hengeli and Trigonostigma espei. I even spent some time looking at Trigonostigma heteromorpha thinking they might be some kind of morph (also, they are pretty :icon_smil) Although the whole search was made more confusing by what seemed like a lot of mislabelled fish.

I tend to come down on the espei side of the coin, because the hengeli has a very defined thin orange strip, while my confused fish has more of an orange gradient, although it's color is closer to the hengeli.

I'll just chalk it up to different genes :red_mouth

Thanks for all the opinions!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
That is true about hengeli, most of the time. I have a whole tank of those I purchased as espei, but I have never had espei not get that dark orange before. I am thinking what I have are hengeli, as they have a light orange body color, though more color than a lot of what I think are poor specimens, pictured on the internet.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
hahah, well, I have dealt with probably 5000 espeis over the past few years and have never seen ones that light orange, unless they are .5" or smaller in body size. Generally, by the tiem they reach .75",t hey are that beautiful rich copper/dark orange color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.