The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a new tank that is still going through its nitrogen cycle. It's heavily planted with a mix of hardy, easy growing, low light plants.

I saw some white "eggs" in a "jelly" attached to the bottom side of my anacharis leaves.

I dipped all my plants previously for 2-3 hours in a 3 Tbls/1 gallon Alum solution.

Could these be snails? If so, what are they eating? There is nothing in the tank other than dirt, sand, and plants.

I got the plants 4/2/16

Thanks,

Lime

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yes, those are snail eggs. They could be eating random detritus or leftover food. Don't let it bother you, we all have snails, keeping the population in check is as easy as not overfeeding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, those are snail eggs. They could be eating random detritus or leftover food. Don't let it bother you, we all have snails, keeping the population in check is as easy as not overfeeding.
I'm surprised I have them. I thought a long alum soak would have killed any snails and their eggs.
I woke up in the middle of the night with a flash light and started looking in my tank for signs of them. Nothing. Ha. I guess if i start to see them then that means I have too many.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm surprised I have them. I thought a long alum soak would have killed any snails and their eggs.
I woke up in the middle of the night with a flash light and started looking in my tank for signs of them. Nothing. Ha. I guess if i start to see them then that means I have too many.
You'll wish you had them once the diatoms start to show up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.