The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 7 gallons and I am going for a jungle style. These are the plants I already have:
-anubias nana petite
-java fern windelov
-anacharis
-valisneria nana(which I plan on removing)
-christmas, java, flame mosa
-Limnophila sessiliflora
What I want to add:
-anubias nana
-cryptocoryne wendtii green/brown
-cryptocoryne parva
-rotala rotundifolia
-java fern classic
I have a 11w flourescent 2700k lamp(which I am planning on replacing with a 6w 8500k led lamp in the next months) and I only plan on using Easy life easy carbo, no other ferts. Substrate is regular sand. Is this ok? I don't want to get plants that will die and I don't plan on going any higher tech wise right now.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Your list looks good. The only change I would make is with the Java fern. It may be best to pick a smaller variety rather than the "classic". "Classic" can be quite large, however, maybe you want a big plant. I would think that "Trident" or "Narrow" might be a better choice. Just something to think about.
Rotala rotundifolia can be pruned to whatever height you want, so that would work. I have it in a low tech, low light 10 gallon and it remains green with smaller leaves. In my high tech, high light tank, it is pink with larger leaves.

I just reread your post. Why are you going down to a 6 watt light? That will change the growth of all of your plants. Have you been successful with the 11 watt light?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@bigbadjon Yes, the anacharis is very easy to trim (I just snap some of it off and replant the snapped portion in the substrate I started off with 5 and now I have 10).
@touch of sky The reasons I want to switch to LED and why I thought I was upgrading:
-I did some research and I thought that 6w LED are the equivalent of about 13w Flouorescent(I now have an 11w Fluorescent)
-less heat output--> less water evaporation(I have a lidless tank), less chance of water temp fluctuations
-energy saver
Thank you for the advice, I actually want the classic Java because I want a taller plant in the very back of the tank and I really like that particular leaf shape. That said, I do worry it may grow a bit too big for my tank but I guess I'll just wait and see.

Bump: @bigbadjon Yes, the anacharis is very easy to trim (I just snap some of it off and replant the snapped portion in the substrate I started off with 5 and now I have 10).
@touch of sky The reasons I want to switch to LED and why I thought I was upgrading:
-I did some research and I thought that 6w LED are the equivalent of about 13w Flouorescent(I now have an 11w Fluorescent)
-less heat output--> less water evaporation(I have a lidless tank), less chance of water temp fluctuations
-energy saver
Thank you for the advice, I actually want the classic Java because I want a taller plant in the very back of the tank and I really like that particular leaf shape. That said, I do worry it may grow a bit too big for my tank but I guess I'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sorry love4betta, I somehow missed that one was fluorescent and the other was LED! How I managed that, I don't know :) I also can see that you may want to try the classic Java if you want a taller plant. Please let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will. I am still working on the tank but I hope in a month or so I can present it over here and it can be at least a little bit decent. Maybe you guys will help me with suggestions to make it better :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.