The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are TMC Aquaray Aqua beam led strips in natural daylight suitable for a planted tank?
I cannot say that I am familiar with the lights you are asking about. However, according to their website, the strips seem as though they would work fine. That being said, they do seem pricey for what you get vs. other available LED lights.

What size tank are you looking to light?
What plants do you plan on putting in the tank?
Are you running pressurized CO2?

A very knowledgeable member about LED lighting is @jeffkrol . Maybe he'll join the discussion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, they were on eBay but I’ve realised I misread the size anyway so would be no good for my tank. It’s 340 litres and no co2, I currently have a fluval unit with 4 t5 fluval bulbs but don’t really like it, it doesn’t light the whole tank, is very hot and the light is too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks, they were on eBay but I’ve realised I misread the size anyway so would be no good for my tank. It’s 340 litres and no co2, I currently have a fluval unit with 4 t5 fluval bulbs but don’t really like it, it doesn’t light the whole tank, is very hot and the light is too cold.

When dialed in, some say that T5's are about the best way to go. There is a thread called, "Share Your T5 Combo" which has any number of different lamps and combinations available. However, I do understand your trepidation toward using them because of heat and, depending on length and width of fixture, coverage on your tank.

Thanks for supplying the 340 litres size.

What are the dimensions of the tank (L x W x H)? What sort of plants do you plan on keeping?

Bear in mind that many, many people run low-tech tanks which require no CO2. In these cases, you want to house plants that typically do not require high intensity lighting.

Oh, and since you used the measurement of "litres", I'm guessing you're in Europe. Ohhh, wait a second... I just saw the Union Jack next to your user name.

One more quick thing; what size is your T5 light and how many lamps are in it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is 110 (W) x 55 (D) x 61 (H) CM. The light I have at the moment is a fluval quad light with 3x Fluval Life Spectrum T5HO Fluorescent Bulbs 39W Lumens: 3000 Lux: 314 CRI: 6700K and a t5 natural red bulb 25,000k
I only have anubius, Java fern, red tiger lotus and Sagittaria subulata in the tank at the moment. I have Severums in the tank which eat plants so I’m quite limited by that, but I’ve found if I grow things to a good size in my other tank which has co2 and then plant them in there they do ok. Nothing really flourishes once in the big tank tho, and I’m not sure if it’s due to my choice of bulbs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The tank is 110 (W) x 55 (D) x 61 (H) CM. The light I have at the moment is a fluval quad light with 3x Fluval Life Spectrum T5HO Fluorescent Bulbs 39W Lumens: 3000 Lux: 314 CRI: 6700K and a t5 natural red bulb 25,000k
I only have anubius, Java fern, red tiger lotus and Sagittaria subulata in the tank at the moment. I have Severums in the tank which eat plants so I’m quite limited by that, but I’ve found if I grow things to a good size in my other tank which has co2 and then plant them in there they do ok. Nothing really flourishes once in the big tank tho, and I’m not sure if it’s due to my choice of bulbs. If you're not getting good coverage, you may want to consider raising the light.

G

A four lamp T5 should be more than adequate enough to provide very good lighting on your tank. I cannot really comment on the lamps you are using because I cannot find a spectrum chart for them. However, I am confused by your using a "T5 natural red bulb 25,000k" unless you meant 2,500k as 25,000k would be a heavy blue color. I suspect you would be well served by trying different lamps.

Giesemann makes some very lamps for planted tanks starting with their Super Flora. Many people use Giesemann lamps with a combo of other lamps available here in the States.

Below is the thread I referenced about T5 lamps. It's a wonderful resource and I suggest checking it out but remember that most, if not all, of the people posting are running CO2.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
43.3 x 21.6x 24.4.….
90gal...
4 36" t5's at 39w each.

Shouldn't really have issues growing things though yea spacial issues.
Older than 2 years in the bulbs?
43.3" is an odd size and probably best served w/ led pucks.

Standard suggestion is 3 ai prime freshwaters.

W/ out raising the t5's till you fill the tank you prob won't be satisfied w them.

Rimmed or rimless?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A four lamp T5 should be more than adequate enough to provide very good lighting on your tank. I cannot really comment on the lamps you are using because I cannot find a spectrum chart for them. However, I am confused by your using a "T5 natural red bulb 25,000k" unless you meant 2,500k as 25,000k would be a heavy blue color. I suspect you would be well served by trying different lamps.

Giesemann makes some very lamps for planted tanks starting with their Super Flora. Many people use Giesemann lamps with a combo of other lamps available here in the States.

Below is the thread I referenced about T5 lamps. It's a wonderful resource and I suggest checking it out but remember that most, if not all, of the people posting are running CO2.

I know the Kelvin rating of the red bulb doesn’t make much sense to me either! The bulbs are all less than a year old.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
43.3 x 21.6x 24.4.….
90gal...
4 36" t5's at 39w each.

Shouldn't really have issues growing things though yea spacial issues.
Older than 2 years in the bulbs?
43.3" is an odd size and probably best served w/ led pucks.

Standard suggestion is 3 ai prime freshwaters.

W/ out raising the t5's till you fill the tank you prob won't be satisfied w them.

Rimmed or rimless?
It’s rimmed unfortunately, bulbs are all less than 6 months old

·
Registered
232 Posts

I know the Kelvin rating of the red bulb doesn’t make much sense to me either! The bulbs are all less than a year old.

That's a nice looking set up! Did you build the stand and hood yourself?

Even though the 25.000K does not make much sense to either of us, the spectrum on that bulb looks pretty good. Do the other Fluval bulbs have the spectrum on them too?

Have you been able to take a look at the link to Share Your Bulb Combo I provided above?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a nice looking set up! Did you build the stand and hood yourself?

Even though the 25.000K does not make much sense to either of us, the spectrum on that bulb looks pretty good. Do the other Fluval bulbs have the spectrum on them too?

Have you been able to take a look at the link to Share Your Bulb Combo I provided above?
No, I wish I had those skills! It’s an AquaOak 120, looks very nice but the hood weighs a ton and needs 2 people to lift off which is a bit of a pain.
The fluval life spectrum bulbs are 314 lux and here’s the spectrum graphic.

Thanks for the link, I’m reading though it. Some beautiful tanks, not sure if the bulbs mentioned are available here in the U.K. though

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, I wish I had those skills! It’s an AquaOak 120, looks very nice but the hood weighs a ton and needs 2 people to lift off which is a bit of a pain.
The fluval life spectrum bulbs are 314 lux and here’s the spectrum graphic.

Thanks for the link, I’m reading though it. Some beautiful tanks, not sure if the bulbs mentioned are available here in the U.K. though

The spectrum on that bulb looks to be pretty decent.

I suspect that many of the bulbs that members use in the Share Your Bulb Combo are not available in the UK. However, I ran a quick search and came up with the following two sites in the UK. They appear to have a decent selection of bulbs and, perhaps, you'll be able to find a good combination of bulbs for a look you like by comparing spectrum charts to what is available to you. Additionally, there is also Evil Bay (using the proper name is not allowed) and maybe you'll have luck there.

One more thing is running the 3 Fluval bulbs you are running in conjunction with the 1 "red" bulb is probably supplying so much light that it doesn't make sense to not run CO2. There is really no way of knowing this without knowing your PAR values at your substrate. However, it is a strong possibility.

One more thing is to think about jumping into the Share Your Bulb Combo thread. Then asking, because you're in the UK, if anyone there has suggestions/advice on good bulbs for you to use. A few of the members there know folks all over the world and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Here are the links to UK bulb sellers;

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
It’s rimmed unfortunately, bulbs are all less than 6 months old

Well first off my biggest concern is spread.
Those bulbs just don' t fit well.
Spectrum is fine
Biomass is a bit low for that amount of light.
Evenly lighting it is going to be a challenge.
Staggered pair of 24" tubes is the easiest. solution.

Some reason this states it fits a 40" tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Abi - how are things going? What did you decide for your lighting and did you make any changes?
Hi, I haven’t changed anything yet but I think my only option is to add co2. I’m having awful algae issues and due to the fact that the quad light bar will only operate with all 4 bulbs in it I can’t reduce the lighting really. With the design of the lid I’m so limited with what lighting I can use, I wish I’d considered that before I bought it!

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Hi, I haven’t changed anything yet but I think my only option is to add co2. I’m having awful algae issues and due to the fact that the quad light bar will only operate with all 4 bulbs in it I can’t reduce the lighting really. With the design of the lid I’m so limited with what lighting I can use, I wish I’d considered that before I bought it!

How wide is the tilt up hood part?
Bridgelux EB strips are designed to be run w/ out heatsinks.
Can easily be mounted on the back of the tilt up cover.

Relatively cheap and wiring is fairly simple..
You'd need to space 28cm strips out inside

There are 34cm strips which at 3 in line is 102cm..
https://www.digikey.com/en/products...Esb5RX4AV1VnckZDY29fSzlbRWVHNRcQBhoIKK8fcVygA
9180 lumens for six strips and easily and cheaply dimmable.
Yea major diy project but can be done w/ no soldering.
Rough estimates of parts is $100US..
Additional rows are $30.

A dimmer need one wired soldered on it or a "commercial" unit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The top flap is not very wide at all, however today had the idea of removing the whole top section of the hood just leaving the wooden pelmet, it was only 6 screws and gives me much better access. I’ve ordered co2 bits and pieces, once that in I’ll see how it all works and whether I need to replace lights.

On a good note, I went to gravel vac today and discovered a little gang of free swimming bristlenose babies under one of the ornaments- the tank may look rubbish but conditions can’t be that bad!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.