The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking online and I found a few lighting fixtures in which they were somewhat inexpensive and a kit that I found... I would also like to know if it is a good price please?

this is the kit:
http://www.warehouse-lighting.com/r...1-white-reflector-2ft-x-4ft-t5ho-troffer.aspx

these are full lighting fixtures:
[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

if I got any of these lights can I get a glass top also? or would I have to leave it open? if I can get glass tops where can I get them the cheapest and what do I need for a regular long 55 gallon tank?

dang I just noticed that I was posting ebay auctions which we cant do... how can I post so that you all can see them and tell me which one I should get? there are 2 hagen, 2 odyssea and a few no name

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The kit looks like a good find, if you use the Miro 4 reflector, which only comes for a 4 bulb light. You could cut it lengthwise into either 2 bulb reflectors or single bulb reflectors. But a 55 gallon planted tank can only use one T5HO bulb without getting into too much light to easily manage, or without raising a 2 bulb light about 6 inches above the top of the tank.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by it can only use one bulb without getting into too much light to easily manage? I can attach it to my canopy which is 6 inches from the top of the tank.

I search the forum and found this...
http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Is that what you are talking about? The only thing about that is the light bulbs, I've never seen them before. Is there a way that I could get the regular bulbs in it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
The first link in your initial post is for a T5HO kit (warehouse lighting). T5HO bulbs produce a lot of light, but uses less energy than other types of light, and bulbs are reasonably priced to replace. Your second post links to a compact florescent kit, which produces less light, but uses more energy, bulbs cost more than T5's to replace, more expensive to run overall. You can not interchange T5 and CF's bulbs, they run on different ballasts, have different pin heads, etc.

Many use T5HO's now, but have to be careful how many bulbs are run over the tank, as stated above, T5 light intensity is greater than other types of light.

I'd suggest you go to the lighting forum and read, read then read some more. Start here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
"Too much light to easily manage" means that you will be driving the plants to grow very fast with the light intensity, so you have to provide enough nutrients for the plants to use in growing that fast. Supplying enough carbon - CO2 - is especially difficult, since high CO2 concentrations will quickly kill the fish and other fauna. With too much light it is a tightrope walk to get enough CO2 but not so much as to kill the fish. Along with that comes the extreme amount of tank maintenance that really fast growth rates require. You will need to prune more than once a week just to keep the tank from being packed with plant mass, which is a very unhealthy tank condition. And, you will need to quickly remove any dead or dieing leaves before algae can start growing on them. Algae will become the primary focus of your planted tank experience, as you fight off one algae outbreak after another, killing any enthusiasm you have for planted tanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh man I just pm,d you hoppy sorry didn't notice who was posting on my thread. Lol!

The only thing I really want is for my plants to grow enough with light and nutrients with no co2 for the mean time and be able to see them grow and sell some off so that I can buy more stuff for this newly found love of mine. (my gf/fiancée) says no more money on fish stuff. Lol!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
An Odyssea 2 bulb T5HO light could be about right for a 55 gallon, with no CO2. You might need to have it on legs to reduce the light intensity a little bit. I don't think you would be satisfied if you try to build your own light with one of those kits. But, if you do want to try a kit, a 2 x 55 watt AH Supply kit, http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm would be a good one to use. That would give you just about perfect lighting.

·
Registered
754 Posts
would that 2x55 watt ah supply kit be about the same as the odyssea or be better/worse? I was looking at the prices of the two units and the light bulbs. and the bulbs that the ah supply uses are a bit on the expensive side and it says that it is 22" long. that would be too short correct?
It doesn't have to be exact length. It's only 4" shorter than the tank.

The difference between those and an Odyssea is that an Odyssea is a complete fixture where as the others you'd have to built it yourself.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
but my 55g tank is 48 inches long... do I use one bulb fixture next to each other?
You put the two bulbs in one row across the top of the tank. That gives you about 40-50 micromols of PAR, very good light level for a planted tank.

It isn't hard to assemble the kit, but you do need to figure out what goes where. The AH Supply website has some good instructions for doing it, and it links to still other DIY instructions. It isn't the latest thing in lighting, and the bulbs can be a bit expensive to replace, but it is still excellent lighting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.