The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed quite a few of these guys in one of my tanks today. They are in a 5.5 gallon tank that only has snails in it right now (bladder, unknown and assassins). Looking at pictures online I'm thinking hydra?

Any suggestions on what to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
These look to be hydra, or at least some type of polyp (almost 100% sure hydra). In fact, as you can see by the nodule on the second picture on the bigger hydra, these are already hydra that are developed enough to bud and/or reproduce sexually so you're looking for a hydra explosion if you don't treat soon.

The good news is that hydra really aren't that big of a threat in the aquarium but can cause harm to any type of fry (both fish and shrimp fry). I've never heard of them doing anything to snails however. Since you only have snails, one of the easiest ways to get rid of these is to stop feeding the tank or reduce feeding greatly. Do you use algae wafers to feed your snails? If so I would discontinue this for a week or at least reduce to only feeding the wafers once or twice a week max. Hydra's start exploding in population when a tank is overfed.

If you are wanting to completely eradicate them immediately, I would dose with Fenbendazole. This can be found in dog dewormer medication. I don't know if it is available in Canada, but Safeguard fenbendazole dog dewormer (can be bought from Amazon) works like a charm. Here is a link on how to treat and dose fenbendazole Killing Planaria and Hydra .:. Information on killing Planaria & Hydra with Fenbendazole.
I actually just treated with this about a month ago due to hydra hitch hikers on some plants I purchased.

HOWEVERHere is the downside to this. It has been known to harm certain types of snails, mainly Nerite. I personally don't know of the effects on snails as I used it on a shrimp tank that had two SAEs as well. If you are able to move your snails to another tank while you medicate, this could be a viable option. I used two doses as described in the link, one each day for two days and on the third day everything was eradicated and I then proceeded to put carbon in my filter to remove any excess medication. I still haven't seen any hydra come back4 weeks later.

Some people have talked about certain fish that actually eat the hydra but I have no experience with this. You can look around the forum and find out more about that option. You'll also see there are tons of people here that have dosed with fenbendazole and had the same great experience as I have. You'll also see some people had snails that were not affected during the treatment and some that had a loss of snails (mainly nerite).

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
looks like it to me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts