The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this white stuff appeared on my driftwood after i put the wood into the NEW tank for 2 weeks. I have 4 flying fox and 2 ottos in this NEW tank(1month), unfortunately one of my flying fox died after 1 week, and follow by the death of the other 2 in the next week.

So basically i left 2 ottos and 1 flying fox in the tank. I have noticed that before the flying fox die, they would stay at the bottom of the tank and became less active and few days they die.

I tried to scrub the white stuff off by using toothbrush but they just keep on coming back.

Tank information: ph 8.1, nitrate 0, ammonia 0

My Question is:
1) is the fungus harmful to the fish?
2) Can it be the fungus that causes fishes to die
3) how should i remove them (Note: i have attached Christmas moss on the driftwood they looked really healthy
4) will they disappear on their own?

Below is the picture of my tank and the fungus(?)

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
this white stuff appeared on my driftwood after i put the wood into the NEW tank for 2 weeks. I have 4 flying fox and 2 ottos in this NEW tank(1month), unfortunately one of my flying fox died after 1 week, and follow by the death of the other 2 in the next week.

So basically i left 2 ottos and 1 flying fox in the tank. I have noticed that before the flying fox die, they would stay at the bottom of the tank and became less active and few days they die.

I tried to scrub the white stuff off by using toothbrush but they just keep on coming back.

Tank information: ph 8.1, nitrate 0, ammonia 0 What are your nitrites? You said this is a new tank. 0 nitrate tells me your tank may not be cycled. If so, the nitrites may be killing your fish. Why is your ph so high? 7 is good, 8 is in the high range, and not great for most fish.

My Question is:
1) is the fungus harmful to the fish? Not usually.
2) Can it be the fungus that causes fishes to die. Not in a healthy tank.
3) how should i remove them (Note: i have attached Christmas moss on the driftwood they looked really healthy Don't bother
4) will they disappear on their own? In about a couple of months.

Below is the picture of my tank and the fungus(?)
See above ^

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See above ^
At least now i know fungus is not the main reason leading to the death of fishes :(

I do not have nitrite test kit, will probably ask the local pet shop to check it out for me. This may sound stupid but I have tons of bio rings (ceramic) in my power filter, doesn't 0 ammonia tells that my nitrifying bacteria is coverting them into nitrite? so what bacteria will convert nitrite into nitrate and how can i introduce them into my tank?

Sorry i am a newbie to this hobby :icon_sad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw the cause of the high ph is the gravel that i used, i didnt know it was sea gravel until i found out the high level of ph

·
Registered
251 Posts
At least now i know fungus is not the main reason leading to the death of fishes :(

I do not have nitrite test kit, will probably ask the local pet shop to check it out for me. This may sound stupid but I have tons of bio rings (ceramic) in my power filter, doesn't 0 ammonia tells that my nitrifying bacteria is coverting them into nitrite? so what bacteria will convert nitrite into nitrate and how can i introduce them into my tank?

Sorry i am a newbie to this hobby :icon_sad:
No worries. You care enough about your fish to come here and ask questions, that's a great start. :)

The bacteria will form on it's own, but you can also add Tetra Safestart. I use it in my new tanks, even doing fishless cycling.
Here is a chart showing how the bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites to nitrates: http://fcas.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/new-tank-syndrome/

·
Registered
251 Posts
btw the cause of the high ph is the gravel that i used, i didnt know it was sea gravel until i found out the high level of ph
If you decide to use the Safestart, you could change out you substrate first. It may be a hassle, but it shouldn't be too bad since you have a smallish tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries. You care enough about your fish to come here and ask questions, that's a great start. :)

The bacteria will form on it's own, but you can also add Tetra Safestart. I use it in my new tanks, even doing fishless cycling.
Here is a chart showing how the bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites to nitrates: http://fcas.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/new-tank-syndrome/
you have no idea how relieving is when there is someone so experienced is helping and casting out the doubt in your mind. Maybe i will consider using safestart. p/s this hobby is really expensive hahaha

Thank you so much Catsoup

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
That white stuff is harmless and is common on new Mopani driftwood. It will go away by itself, unless ottos eat it first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That white stuff is harmless and is common on new Mopani driftwood. It will go away by itself, unless ottos eat it first.
The problem is the otto doesnt seem to like it, they tend to avoid it while looking for algae on the wood. i guess manual remove is the only way

:icon_roll

·
Registered
251 Posts
you have no idea how relieving is when there is someone so experienced is helping and casting out the doubt in your mind. Maybe i will consider using safestart. p/s this hobby is really expensive hahaha

Thank you so much Catsoup
You're welcome. :)
And yes! It is very expensive. Aside from farm animals, fish have been my most expensive pet. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that is very true, but many tank keepers tend to fail to fight off the temptation to buy more fancy equipment :D but at least we don't have to worry about shark attack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts