The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and brought some tropical fish, was told these we're mollys but I'm not sure they are. As looked at pictures on the Internet and they look like platies. Could someone help with this?. Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Both species are pretty similar, and your fish appear very young so that makes it harder, but I'm leaning towards mollies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The slightly more upturned mouth and the longer dorsal fins lead me to say mollies as well, but no 100 positive, maybe 80%.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
If those are juvenile fish, like the appear, that tank doesn't have anywhere near enough swimming room for them. Common mollies can get 3 inches long and a 10 gallon tank is usually the minimum recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, yes have few different colours in these and some are younger , thank you for this.

If those are juvenile fish, like the appear, that tank doesn't have anywhere near enough swimming room for them. Common mollies can get 3 inches long and a 10 gallon tank is usually the minimum recommended.
Hi, thank you for the message, there and only few small ones in there, the tank is custom made and tall, it is a 140L tank so plenty big enough for the fish i have in there as I checked all this out before getting the fish. Thank you.
I don't think I've ever seen a silver platy. My money's on mollies.
Thank you, I can try to take a clearer picture if that helps, thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, thank you for the message, there and only few small ones in there, the tank is custom made and tall, it is a 140L tank so plenty big enough for the fish i have in there as I checked all this out before getting the fish. Thank you.

Yes that is about 35 US gallons. Seems like enough room to me. Of course, I don't know exactly how many you have but when my 5 platties started having babies and then the babies grew a bit and had babies...well man I ended up with about 60 young platties in my tiny 29 gallon pretty quickly. I had to give most away. I went through about 5 generations before I changed my "scheme" a bit. I currently have a mated pair of Angels (a bit bigger than a silver dollar) and 2 platies left and a bristlenose pleco. This wasn't my original intent but it is okay, other than the tank is pretty small for 2 growing angels. Best of luck with your mollies.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts

I guess I was fooled by the pic. Looking at the gravel I thought that tank appeared to be about 8 inches wide .

·
Registered
75 Community, 33L Gourami, 10 gal shrimp for fun
123 Posts
Yes that is about 35 US gallons. Seems like enough room to me. Of course, I don't know exactly how many you have but when my 5 platties started having babies and then the babies grew a bit and had babies...well man I ended up with about 60 young platties in my tiny 29 gallon pretty quickly. I had to give most away. I went through about 5 generations before I changed my "scheme" a bit. I currently have a mated pair of Angels (a bit bigger than a silver dollar) and 2 platies left and a bristlenose pleco. This wasn't my original intent but it is okay, other than the tank is pretty small for 2 growing angels. Best of luck with your mollies.
yeah, some danio, rasboras or tetras would be good too, not as prolific as mollies and platties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you do you think the fish are molly from the pictures, thanks.

I guess I was fooled by the pic. Looking at the gravel I thought that tank appeared to be about 8 inches wide .
No it is lot bigger , do u think the fish are mollys to,thanks.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A clearer picture would be better. So far I'm seeing one black fish, one silver fish, and I'm not sure if that's a salt and pepper colored fish or just an oddly colored piece of gravel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ssooooo I love this tank!

Not to take away from what you did with it, because I do like it as it is, but I see thick roots covered in moss going from top to bottom with shrimp all over it and maybe endlers swimming around it. As previously asked, what are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
The tank is 6ft tall hexagon shape custom made tank. It is a 140L tank. Thanks.
Six feet tall? Holy smokes, that's a tall aquarium!

Get some vallisnaria gigantea for that thing. You actually have enough vertical space, and your fish will love it (just stay on top of the runners so it doesn't overfill the space). That or a super tall low-light stem plant like hornwort or hygrophila corymbosa. It would be beautiful with a column of live foliage coming up the back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts