The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 3 clusters of these I'm my tank today, never seen it before. Anyone know what these are?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
412 Posts
Seems like a lot of eggs.....wonder what's the hatch rate and if I should get an assassin snail to control population....
What kind of snails are in there? If you have the "pest" types, Bladder, Pond or the smaller Ramshorns those eggs will be living creatures in 2 weeks and then they will be so small and mobile getting them all out is basically impossible. I have gotten assassins to clean out a tank but I needed more than 2..... and now I have a tank full off assassin snails. lol

I have found that plecos will clean most surfaces of these snail eggs pretty well. Especially the glass. They can help to keep the populations in check. Otherwise you're in there everyday multiple times a day scouring your tank for tiny snails and pulling them with tongs or popping them like itty bitty bubble wrap.

Or leave them. Eventually their population will level out... but only if you keep a close eye on your feedings to not over feed at all. snails don't need a whole lot to explode in population since they can sustain some kind of population from just algae growth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of snails are in there? If you have the "pest" types, Bladder, Pond or the smaller Ramshorns those eggs will be living creatures in 2 weeks and then they will be so small and mobile getting them all out is basically impossible. I have gotten assassins to clean out a tank but I needed more than 2..... and now I have a tank full off assassin snails. lol

I have found that plecos will clean most surfaces of these snail eggs pretty well. Especially the glass. They can help to keep the populations in check. Otherwise you're in there everyday multiple times a day scouring your tank for tiny snails and pulling them with tongs or popping them like itty bitty bubble wrap.

Or leave them. Eventually their population will level out... but only if you keep a close eye on your feedings to not over feed at all. snails don't need a whole lot to explode in population since they can sustain some kind of population from just algae growth.
I have a pond snail that snuck in on an anubius. Called my local fish store this morning and found they have no assassins :( I tried knocking the egg sacs off the glass thinking the corys would hoover them up like they do anything else on the bottom but nope lol. Headed up to the fish store anyway though because my gravel vac broke and I have two water changes to knock out today (plus setting up a 3rd tank).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts