The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Fish you started out not liking but then won you over over time?

I have never like barbs since I think I have read they like to harass and nip fins of other fish. After reading this forum, I was educated that not all barbs are like that, for example Golden barbs and Cherry barbs. I look at the golden barb and I thought it look like a goldfish with dirt on it and very unattractive however I figure I would give them a shot.

They have surprisingly been a very interest addition to my aquarium and have kind of won me over with their personality.

Just today, I put in a piece of driftwood in front of the castle ordainment. The barb will try to squeeze under the driftwood, go sideways and wiggle inside the castle and then find a way out the back of the castle to join the others. They seem to be very curious and fun to watch. I am now looking forward to getting some cherry barb.

I thought it was ironic that I originally would avoid barbs at all cost even when on sale at the local pet store however now I really want to get more.

I am wondering if anyone has an experience of a fish they did not originally like but now has changed your mind on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I didn't like Cardinal Tetras for years and years because I thought they were uninteresting and now they are one of my favorite freshwater fishes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I bought a shoal of cherry barbs a while back, and when I got home and released them, one looked a little different. I did a bit of research and realized that it was an immature checker barb. It looked quite plain. It is a male, and is lovely when it matured. It sort of reminds me of a tiny bass, with a grey body and deep red fins. I now want to get a shoal of them, but they seem hard to find around here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always found South American cichlids to be boring until my fiancée convinced me to get a Dempsey. He's like a puppy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd go with Cardinal Tetra's as well. When I first started I thought "seriously? I can buy 5 neons for the cost of a cardinal". NOT NO MO! Cardinals are beautiful!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Dempsey's are really cool, I'll give you that. Kribensis too.

I like my glofish danio monstrosities too. The colour is just gobsmacking some times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts