The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any carpeting plants that don't require Co2?

I am thinking about getting Co2 but just in case it does not work out, are there any carpeting plants that don't need C02 injection system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have had success with E. acicularis in my Excel-based tank. I can grow H. callitrichoides well, but the hair grass grows much more vigorously in my somewhat subdued lighting. S. repens grows a little slowly, but the growth is really lush and attractive. I started with CO2 in my tank for about 4 weeks, then switched to lower lighting and Excel with very satisfactory results.

·
Registered
804 Posts
A lot of my customer have had good luck with S. Repens in their low tech setups. People will say it requires co2 but the happy healthy plants I have seen that transitioned from my high tech setup to a low tech says otherwise. These are pics a customer shared with me after about 1 month of being in their tank from mine.

And here is my tank they came from:

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a number of plants and mosses that will carpet a tank withot CO2..... Java Moss, Dwarf Hair grass, etc. I thik the problem you may encounter is the patience needed to develop a carpet in a tank w/o CO2. It will almost certainly take a lot longer.

If you have the patience good for you... I am not that lucky LOL!

Bump: There are a number of plants and mosses that will carpet a tank withot CO2..... Java Moss, Dwarf Hair grass, etc. I thik the problem you may encounter is the patience needed to develop a carpet in a tank w/o CO2. It will almost certainly take a lot longer.

Bump: There are a number of plants and mosses that will carpet a tank withot CO2..... Java Moss, Dwarf Hair grass, etc. I thik the problem you may encounter is the patience needed to develop a carpet in a tank w/o CO2. It will almost certainly take a lot longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.