The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some new plants in my tank. Tank is going through its cycle. Ammonia is high at 4-5ppm. There are snails popping up all over the place in the tank. Tiny ones, medium size ones, crawling around like nothing going on. I'll try to get some shots so I can id them...I don't mind having them...for the moment...depending on what they are...I was just kinda surprised to see them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes, they are that tough. Snails are like the cockroaches of the aquarium world, IMO. I know some people don't mind them and some people adore them, but I do not fall under either category. I HATE them, but they come with the territory.

·
Registered
261 Posts
kill them before they take over your tank. I started with just a few snails and figured they would do no harm 6 months later my tank was infested with them I had to tear down the tank and nuke my aquasoil in the microwave to kill them off.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
assassin snails destroy (eat) all other snails in a tank
MTS are good for the substrate
pond/bladder snails are a pox LOL
treating your system with Flubendazole (fish wormer) will kill every snail in the tank.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
assassin snails destroy (eat) all other snails in a tank
MTS are good for the substrate
pond/bladder snails are a pox LOL
treating your system with Flubendazole (fish wormer) will kill every snail in the tank.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html
Assassin snails will never keep up with MTS. The trapdoor makes them almost impervious. I had 15 assassins in my 75g tank and still have upwards of 200 MTS in there that are full grown....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
they are... I had a cup of water on my patio that people have been using as an ashtray for the past 4 weeks.... I was using it to rinse some plants a while ago and forgot to take it inside... guess what I found crawling around in the dirty ashy... nicotine filled water.... Bladder snails.. Nothing kills them off...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is that consistent across the species? (I'm asking, not disputing) I know that some bettas, for instance, will eat snails, but not all of them. I hadn't heard of Kribs as snail-eaters, but it would be good to know that they were.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lay a net on the bottom of your tank Put a piece of lettuce or zucchini weighted with a zip tie on the net. Turn off lights. Wait an hour. Remove with snails.

Personally I like MTS. Pond snails, not so much. I love my Nerites !!
I thin out my MTS as needed. They aerate my sand and help keep my plants happy. My Nerites are algae eating machines !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.