The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, snails...are they good or bad really. I've read or thought anyway that they can cycle diseases? and they can be messy and get stuck in filters and although some say they eat lots of algae I've also seen them eat plant life and gnaw edges of the leaves off, holes etc. One aquarium book says they only eat decaying plant debree but I am wondering if they are worth the trouble. Years ago a couple big mystery snails died and we need to introduction into what smell those can make. All in all it might be pretty unavoidable anyway to rid of snails as the eggs come in on plant life we order. Pros , cons?... Right now I am cycling a new tank for eventual hope for my first real experiences with discus. Time to have some beautiful fish.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Depends on the species of snail,and what they eat.I've never had any damage from ramshorns,and MTS are generally a good snail to have in the gravel,IMO.I don't care for mystery snails,and try to avoid pond and bladder snails.If you over feed,or have been,you will have a population explosion.

I have read they can harbor or be a vector for some parasites,though I've never experienced that.Some people think they're unsightly.

Nerites are good algae eaters,and will never overpopulate because they require salt water for their eggs to hatch.

·
Banned
483 Posts
matter of opinion

I think it's a matter of opinion.
I have a mystery snail and a black devil snail.

They drive over all the plants - esp. the black devil. I find the ends of my blyxca japonica getting shredded. The black devil snail uproots some plants with weaker root systems.

They act weird - periods of inactivity to the point you think they are dead, then it's alive again. I had one mystery snail die recently and It caused a small ammonia spike that probably ended several of my shrimps lives. It smelled not so great.

To be totally honest, I prefer the otos... The second I put those in my tank all algae was gone almost overnight and they are super docile and look like little sharks, and they don't mess with the plants.

I also find the scale of the snails to be a bit large for my scape, but I have a small tank (5 gallon).

So yea, I'd think if there's something to the aesthetics you like. Some of the snails look pretty alien with the shell colors and weird skin colors.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have ordered snails.

OK, snails...are they good or bad really. I've read or thought anyway that they can cycle diseases? and they can be messy and get stuck in filters and although some say they eat lots of algae I've also seen them eat plant life and gnaw edges of the leaves off, holes etc. One aquarium book says they only eat decaying plant debree but I am wondering if they are worth the trouble. Years ago a couple big mystery snails died and we need to introduction into what smell those can make. All in all it might be pretty unavoidable anyway to rid of snails as the eggs come in on plant life we order. Pros , cons?... Right now I am cycling a new tank for eventual hope for my first real experiences with discus. Time to have some beautiful fish.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I'm a fan of the mystery snails. They ate the wolffia and fairy moss. They haven't eaten any other plants unless they were rotting. The breeding can be controlled by removing the eggs. I like that they are so large in scale to the shrimps. Kind of like the big elephant in the room. They look kind of alien and come in many colors. I did have one die and because I noticed it fairly quickly there was no smell.

I do not like the pond snails - they ate everything and ruined the aquarium. Snuck in on some plants I ordered. I have some Malaysian Trumpet Snails and they are supposed to clean up the gravel. I don't care for the look of them much and they multiply.

Amano shrimp are better at cleaning the algae. Other shrimp are great for cleaning up other stuff.

·
Banned
483 Posts
football

I laugh because some of my shrimp ride on top of the mystery snail and it looks like a mini football helmet with a shrimp on top eating algae off the shell. My mystery snails are supposedly blue - but it looks brown to me. I wasn't knocking snails, I think it's just what you like, and I think some of the varieties are pretty stunning...

I thin the attached is a pretty cool one.

Well, I'm a fan of the mystery snails. They ate the wolffia and fairy moss. They haven't eaten any other plants unless they were rotting. The breeding can be controlled by removing the eggs. I like that they are so large in scale to the shrimps. Kind of like the big elephant in the room. They look kind of alien and come in many colors. I did have one die and because I noticed it fairly quickly there was no smell.

I do not like the pond snails - they ate everything and ruined the aquarium. Snuck in on some plants I ordered. I have some Malaysian Trumpet Snails and they are supposed to clean up the gravel. I don't care for the look of them much and they multiply.

Amano shrimp are better at cleaning the algae. Other shrimp are great for cleaning up other stuff.

Attachments

·
Banned
483 Posts
I'd also add they are the jokers of the tank and add something fish or shrimp do not. Very klutzy, clowny almost. They attach, fall down on the floor, but when they want to, they are the most graceful swimmers and sensitive inhabitants. Very calming to watch the nuances. Even the flesh, eyes ans skin can have a beautiful marbling and the face is beyond weird and makes cool silhouettes. Like I said earlier, matter of opinion. Take a look at my snail situation...

Reactions: boothie

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As far as plants go, I've never had an issue with snails eating healthy plants. If you've experienced otherwise I can only suggest that they are better at detecting the onset of decay than we are.

I've had horrible luck with mystery snails in the past and I've just decided to not replace what I've lost. As far as dead mystery snails raising a stink, dead fish do much the same.

If you think snails can be messy, so can the excess food they've consumed. Pond snails are very adept at keeping their numbers in step with available food. Most folks overreact to an initial burst in numbers when they hatch from new plants, etc. If you don't overfeed or leave lots of dead vegetation in the tank, the numbers level off. This whole hobby is an exercise in patience.

I agree with what sfshrimp has described here for you. Especially the part about being a matter of choice in the final analysis.

For me, I think they look cool, and are part of the puzzle to a healthy tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much for your input. I do hope to get some of the Otos as well for the clean up crew. I do think snails look neat and
can be interesting creatures to watch but then again the issues of possible plant destruction etc. The ramshorns also reproduce
so fast. I wouldn't probably order snails but the eggs can come in unnoticed with plant life I suppose. I am cycling a 75 gal. this
time around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the dullest kind: Wandering/Tadpole snails. I do have Whirlpool Ramshorn which looks so delicate. I like them in my tank. I agree on the population boom - they're good indicators if you're overfeeding or not. So far their population in my tank is quite low - to my pleasant surprise. They do get stuck in my filter which causes clogging %£):"%(#!.

Bump: ^ on plants, most snails are scavengers and feed on detritus. Apple snails though... I heard they can wreck havoc on plants.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I like the physia, melanoides, planorba. I had bad luck with so called apple snails which did ravage my plants, i had to completely remove them. Probably they were not true apple snails, many species have similar look, but some can eat plants.

Michel.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I keep ramshorn, mini ramshorn, pond, bladder, and Malaysian trumpet snails. I don't have issues with them eating my plants except floaters like frogbit and duckweed if they are starving (no diatoms/dead plant matter/uneaten food).
IMO they are not bad, they're just part of a healthy tank. They help a TON with diatoms! Only down side is they do poop a lot but a densely planted tank will deal with the nitrates they produce, and periodic siphoning at substrate level will get rid of poop. Their population is dependent on food-if there's a ton of food you will get a lot of snails, not a lot of food-not many snails.

If you want to get rid of them I've used the product "No Planaria" to kill off a ramshorn population explosion in a smaller tank that they were rising nitrates in more than I wanted (plants had not grown in yet). Remove corpses after treatment and be ready to do 1-2 more treatments as I don't think it kills eggs.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have bladder snails and pond snails that got in due to incoming plants....
I have nerites and mysteries on purpose.
Way I see it they help balance the aquarium and eat dead or dying plant material and algae.
Whats not to like. If I get too many I grab some and drop in the loach tank no more problems.
Also someone apparently gave me an infection of ramshorns lately.
Wish they had been red.....

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Olive Nerites rule............. ;)
If you don't mind a few (snicker) white eggs here and there.
Best dang algae vacuum cleaners you can get................

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Olive Nerites rule............. ;)
If you don't mind a few (snicker) white eggs here and there.
Best dang algae vacuum cleaners you can get................
Very funny. You know my snailtacular sex machines keep putting eggs all over everything I am forever separating them from each other lest more appear. Sadly, as a human, I sleep.
So they win.:iamwithst

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yes but I still see plenty. Someone needs to tell them they aren't in salt/brackish lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have no luck with mystery snails but I do like them. They last a few weeks then I find an empty shell.
I've had a nerite forever though. Nerite are nice and have a lot of veriations plus are good algae controllers.
I like pond snails but they don't last long because all my fish devour them. But i like them for food so that's what they're there for.
Mts snails are literally the worst to me. Get a puffer as it's the only thing I've found able to really get around their shells. Even my clown loaches have a tough time.
I noticed something recently though.
My co2 system was down a couple of days for trouble shooting. My mts snails exploded. as soon as the system went back on they are slowly receding back down under the gravel.
Not sure if there is a relation

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.