The Planted Tank Forum banner

Are Shrimp Worth It?

870 15
I'm hoping to build a paludarium in around two months (lots of planning and research first) and I'm wondering about adding shrimp.
I like shrimp, they're cute and interesting to watch but on the flip side they seem to breed really fast and they are delicate. I don't mind learning about all that goes in to it, making sure they molt properly and the chemistry of the tank, I'm only worried about killing them.

So, are they actually that hard? What are your arguments for and/or against shrimp?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, are they actually that hard? What are your arguments for and/or against shrimp?
Neo caridina shrimps are quite easy to keep. The only problem is the water stability and sometimes contaminations in water which they are more sensitive to than most fishes.
For instance, if you are using tape, there is a chance that your water is not compatible with them And there is also the problem of stability of your tape water. But if you can get RO water and remineralize it then there isn't much that can go wrong.
They aren't picky about their food either.

·
Registered
High tec, 16 gallon tank with 10 Green Neon Tetra, 3 Kuhli Loaches and 2 Hillstream Loaches.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For instance, if you are using tape, there is a chance that your water is not compatible with them And there is also the problem of stability of your tape water. But if you can get RO water and remineralize it then there isn't much that can go wrong.
I will definitely look into a RO system because the well water here is terrible. I currently have to use bottled water for my tank.

Do Neos actually breed that fast? I have no idea what I would do if they overpopulate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do Neos actually breed that fast? I have no idea what I would do if they overpopulate.
They can, I wouldn't worry too much about overpopulation. From what i've experienced and from chatting with others, they tend to balance themselves out.

I think its only as hard as you make it. If you're willing to learn about water chemistry you'll definitely have a better experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just started a nano tank just for them and mini crays- RO water and Salty Shrimp. Have some ember tetra's and galaxy rasbora's in there too. Couldn't keep them in anything else due to water chemistry and predation.

·
Registered
High tec, 16 gallon tank with 10 Green Neon Tetra, 3 Kuhli Loaches and 2 Hillstream Loaches.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They can, I wouldn't worry too much about overpopulation. From what i've experienced and from chatting with others, they tend to balance themselves out.
That's good, it was one of my main reasons for avoiding shrimp.

I think its only as hard as you make it. If you're willing to learn about water chemistry you'll definitely have a better experience.
I enjoyed learning everything I could for my current tank so I'm excited to learn for my future ones. The only problem when conversing with the (almost) all knowing entity that is Google is the contradicting opinions.

After being in the hobby a long time, besides the plants, I actually find shrimp to be much more interesting then most fish.
I got into the hobby because of the plants, I love watching them grow and I'm excited to see where this hobby will take me.

Another quick question, if I had an open paludarium will the shrimp climb out? I'm pretty sure they won't and I heard that if they are trying to escape that means something is wrong with the water. Is this true?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will definitely look into a RO system because the well water here is terrible. I currently have to use bottled water for my tank.
That will probably be your best investment in the hubby. Water remineralized by Salty Shrimp is just so perfect for shrimps. Back when I was using tape, they seemed to be doing fine but then after changing to RO and SS gh/kh they became like 10 times more active.
If I had an open paludarium will the shrimp climb out? I'm pretty sure they won't and I heard that if they are trying to escape that means something is wrong with the water. Is this true?
They don't try to escape if they like the water but if there is a path of water stream, than some may try to climb that. But no more than that. They always keep close to water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They don't try to escape if they like the water but if there is a path of water stream, than some may try to climb that. But no more than that. They always keep close to water.
That's good, I wasn't planning on any waterfalls but I was looking at misters. They look amazing when cascading down rocks and plants.

It's regular Seachem Flourite sand...
Thanks, the reddish hue combined with the dark wood was nice. Although the pictures are probably a bit different than in person, I will look into it. It may be fun planning a future scape with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually the colors in the top pic are pretty much exactly how they are...my phone takes much better pics than my tablet!
I looked at your scape, it's gorgeous. I was worried the green plants would clash with the substrate, but it looks really nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! Here's Deborah Harry...shes about 2 weeks preggers.
Well that settles it, shrimp are officially on my wish list! Shrimp are already so small, I can't believe how small their babies must be.

I spend way more time in front of this tank than I ever thought I would.
I never thought that watching everything would be so interesting or amusing. I have Monte Carlo that is in a bush shape rather than a carpet and my Kuhli Loaches love swimming under it and then they pop out in the middle of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts