The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build my 20 gallon planted but have never done a planted build I have a co2 injection system and liquid ferts. Substrate will be fluval stratum.(using ro water)
The plants I plan on using are
Scarlet temple
Water sprite
Vallisneria
And dwarf hair grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
The whole concept of some plants needing root tabs because they are "heavy root feeders" is pretty much a myth. Root tabs or active soils can help if something is lacking in the water column, but all plants including swords, crypts, etc will grow perfectly healthy with just water column dosing. They're really not that snobby that they have to be fed through the roots, lol. They'll take food where they can get it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
You are already planning on aquasoil. There is really no reason to have root tabs at that point. The aquasoil will provide nutrients and your liquid fertilizer will 'recharge' the aquasoil plus feed the plants. You are good to go.
The OP isn’t using AquaSoil. They are using Fluval Stratum. It’s very different. It also doesn’t release Ammonia like the way Aquasoil does. I use it when I need to add more substrate to a mature tank in order to avoid hurting my livestock. Have had zero issues with it other than it feels a little lighter when planting DHG in it.

No matter. Scrap the root tabs for now. You may want to add some farther down the line depending on how you like to fertilize your tank.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The OP isn’t using AquaSoil. They are using Fluval Stratum. It’s very different. It also doesn’t release Ammonia like the way Aquasoil does. I use it when I need to add more substrate to a mature tank in order to avoid hurting my livestock. Have had zero issues with it other than it feels a little lighter when planting DHG in it.

No matter. Scrap the root tabs for now. You may want to add some farther down the line depending on how you like to fertilize your tank.
Fluval stratum is definitely aquasoil in that it is an enriched substrate made of processed dirt. There have been reports from various people saying it doesn't release much ammonia leading folks to question how much nutrients is in it, I myself got a small ammonia jump when using it, but it's still aquasoil.

Are you thinking fluorite by any chance?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.