The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it even worth feeding a betta pellets if the remainder of my betta's diet is frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms? Or does it help add to a varied and healthy diet? It's always taken me a while to get a betta to eat pellets (TetraBetta brand floating mini pellets), and as I go through this again recently, I'm wondering if pellets are even worth the trouble.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Blood worms in particular are not a good food from a nutritional standpoint. I would suggest frozen spirulina brine shrimp, or to soak your blood worms in something like vita-chem.

If it already likes blood worms then it might go for something like vibra-bites, which look like bloodworms but are more nutritious.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to limit the bloodworms then. Currently I've been feeding them about 2 times a week, but I'll try to hold off to one.

Spirulina brine shrimp is much better than regular frozen brine shrimp since it's gut-loaded, right?

Thank you for the Vibra-Bites tip, that sounds perfect!

Is it enough of a varied nutritious diet to alternate between frozen spirulina brine shrimp and Vibra-Bites, and then occasionally bloodworms as a treat?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any composed fish food (like vibra-bites) should be all a fish needs for a long life. It's why they contain so many supplements on the ingredient list.

Spirulina brine shrimp are gut-loaded, so they should be healthier than regular brine shrimp. All brine shrimp also contain more fiber than bloodworms, so it's good for digestion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with everything said so far. I give pellets twice a week and the rest of the week I give a variety of frozen foods like blood worms, brine, and mysis shrimp (preferably gut loaded as mentioned above). Occasionally when I can keep up with them I also like live food like black worms, banana worms ect even baby brine shrimp is good if you feed them within the first 12 hours of hatching. The pellets are important because of the vitamins and minerals that all your other foods won't have. I like to keep a variety of brands that have a variety of ingredients so I can make sure my fish are getting everything they need.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely pick up some Vibra-Bites.

I also like live food like black worms, banana worms ect even baby brine shrimp is good if you feed them within the first 12 hours of hatching.
I don't have access to live food tiny enough for the betta, except for Timberline flightless fruit flies (I'm not sure if these are gut-loaded/nutritious though). I do hatch baby brine shrimp for the nano fish but the betta doesn't ever seem to notice them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll definitely pick up some Vibra-Bites.

I don't have access to live food tiny enough for the betta, except for Timberline flightless fruit flies (I'm not sure if these are gut-loaded/nutritious though). I do hatch baby brine shrimp for the nano fish but the betta doesn't ever seem to notice them.
Whatever you have access to will work. There are several cultures you can DIY if you are up to it but pellets and frozen foods are more than sufficient! I've had a few bettas that some seem to not notice the baby brine as well so no worries on that
I'll also add you can get creative on what you feed. I've even tried fly and mosquitoe larvae. They are super easy to start cultures for and most of the bettas I've met love them too! Any small insects or worms even tiny earth worms are edible to all fish

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'll also add you can get creative on what you feed. I've even tried fly and mosquitoe larvae. They are super easy to start cultures for and most of the bettas I've met love them too! Any small insects or worms even tiny earth worms are edible to all fish
I hear ya; I've even fed cloth moth larvae to bettas, because those fabric-eating bastards deserve it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hear ya; I've even fed cloth moth larvae to bettas, because those fabric-eating bastards deserve it.
I regularly help my flowerhorn eat whatever bugs will fit in her mouth 🤣 mostly moths! She can even down small June bugs. She loves live food and it saves me from feeding her so many pellets haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts