The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly set up 29 gallon cube is coming along nicely and I'd like to try to fit some more fish in it. I'm looking for something small and colorful that will be happy in this tank. There's quite a bit of plant material (mostly wisteria and sword), black sand bottom, some rocks, 2 African dwarf frogs, 3 cheap shrimp ("ghost" but they clearly aren't all the same species), 2 bettas, 4 otos.

I think there is room for a few more critters. Any suggestions? Would neons be happy here?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'm not sure I would jump to that conclusion. The dwarf frogs I've had in the past only got to ~2-3" or so. If the neons will get eaten, then the shrimp and ottos will be in trouble, but I kinda doubt it. I would keep plenty of sinking pellets and such for them to eat.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I've had African dwarf frogs for a year and they are not any larger than a square inch in size while sitting.
they do not eat ANY small fish to my experience as I have them in my Endler's Fry tank right now.
Cardinal tetras are considered more colorful than Neon tetras,
but Cardinals may be harder to acclimate to any new tank.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are indeed the itty bitty African dwarf frogs--I think it's the African clawed frogs that can get bigger and bitey. Would the cardinals get too big? And are they too prissy to handle a little betta love now and then? I'm not sure either would do well in my water--pH 7.3ish. But maybe I should experiment. Their odds are probably as good with me as with anyone else shopping at the PetBox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clawed frogs get big and will eat small guys. If your not sure what you have check if they are webed in the front fingers. Clawed frogs are not webed. Many pet stores sell clawed as dwarff frogs when small and vise versa.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Cardinals get significantly larger than neons and are a bit more finicky, and almost all wild caught. I'd go with neons, endler's, or guppies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I once witnessed a LFS employee pour a bag of several hundred small neon tetras into a tank already housing several dozen small african clawed frogs. There was an immediate mass disappearance of nearly a hundred neons down the gullets of some very happy frogs. Very impressive feat, i must say.

Dwarf frogs are safe to keep with neons, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts