The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30g long, low tech, Finnex CRV, medium planted easy plants, rosy tetras, RCS, sterbai corys...
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
After a few months of setting up a 20g high, I decided the proper size for me and my community fish was a 30g long. I bought a new tank and stand from visio through my LFS. I had put in on the stand and have had water (2/3 full) in it for the past week and it looked great. I planned to move it into position this weekend, so I filled it the rest of the way for a couple day leak check and once full, the silicone started to show alot of stress. These lines showed on 3 of the 4 vertical seams. If I dump the water back to 2/3, they go away completely. Is this workmanship? Or because the stand is not flat? Do I need to take it back? I am considering adding a top glass brace to see if it would help.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Is the stand flat? Note I'm saying flat, not level. If the stand is not flat, then ya, that is a problem. Stands should be pretty flat.

Judging by that silicone slop in the top corner workmanship is clearly not the best. So that could also be an issue but a stand that makes the corners of a tank go out of plane will destroy even a good quality tank.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Exactly what MinorHero said! Make sure the stand isn't tweaking the tank! If one of the corners of the stand is high it will cause the tank to tweak and put undue stress on the silicone seams. The stand needs to provide a flat / planar surface for the tank to sit on.

·
Registered
30g long, low tech, Finnex CRV, medium planted easy plants, rosy tetras, RCS, sterbai corys...
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I showed the pictures to the LFS, and they just said it wasn't right and they send it back. After I took the tank back, I did double check the top of the stand (also made by the same company) and it does have a couple of very small (business card size) humps in the plywood top. I think I will do some self leveling epoxy on the top before I try again. I also wonder if this 36 long size is borderline needing a brace. I think that normally the 38 tall thats 36" long usually has one... I think this 30l I a fairly unpopular tank.

I also wonder now, seeing so much excess silicone in the black base, maybe the glass isn't all square in the base trim, or the trim itself was uneven...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did buy them together. Unfortunately I bought the bare wood version and stained sealed it myself, so I'm not sure how returnable the stand is...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Several months after moving and setting up a new tank, I learned the hard way.... after waking up in the morning, I came down the stairs to the sound of my HOB filter grinding. I have never been so panicked, not knowing where to begin. Carpets were saturated, my angels and rainbows were flailing in 5 inches of water! Where was I to begin? Thankfully I only lost two beautiful fish. It took weeks to dry the carpet, clean the walls and get a new tank setup while my fish were surviving in several plastic bins.

Your stand, then your tank MUST be level... back to front as well as side to side. I will never listened to "it's close enough" ever again. It was a nightmare cleanup and my fish were incredibly stressed to say the least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts