The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, 2 of my fish looks pregnant, specially one. It might sound like a dumb question, but I'm new w/ Neons. and just earlier, I was reading bout some Tetras being sick that look like tumor (swollen on one side). so, it freaked me out a bit... I'm attaching some pics below (sorry, hard to take their pics). Please advise... thnx.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They do just look exaggerated by overeating. Try not feeding for a day to see if they still look the same?

That, and of course egg-layers do not get pregnant. A neon ready with eggs shouldn't look that weird, the whole body would be larger

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would try fasting the tank for a day or two, feeding green peas (remove the skin and mush them a little first), and, if that doesn't help, dosing with epsom salt (from the drugstore, 1/2 tsp per gallon).

My black neon with the swollen belly looks much, much worse. Going to find some clove oil today :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thnx for ya'lls reply... I dont think she over ate. here are some shots from this morning. I tried takin few frames out of a video, since takin a good shoot is impossible & my battery's out.... :icon_frow

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know, but I have a couple neons out of my school that look similar and they act normally. Consider this a bump. Im interested to see what others think.
thnx Mark...

It looks to me like it just over ate.

I would also un-bury the rhizomes of your java fern before they rot.
posted some more pics... and da java fern, all the lighter color leaves are new, they seem doin fine. I'll still un-bury them. thnx.

They do just look exaggerated by overeating. Try not feeding for a day to see if they still look the same?

That, and of course egg-layers do not get pregnant. A neon ready with eggs shouldn't look that weird, the whole body would be larger
...figured, but ddnt know what else to call it. n was freakin out yesterday. I've got other fish in da tank along w/ da Neons. Not sure bout, not feeding them for a whole day... plz checkout some more pics I'd posted.

I would try fasting the tank for a day or two, feeding green peas (remove the skin and mush them a little first), and, if that doesn't help, dosing with epsom salt (from the drugstore, 1/2 tsp per gallon).

My black neon with the swollen belly looks much, much worse. Going to find some clove oil today :(
ya, I wouldn't either... n thought Neons were sensitive to salt?? let me know da condition or ur's... thnx

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I asked da guys @ petsmart... they said, I she could be pregnant (yes, they used that word) ;), or two it might have "Dropsy" (scaling or scales falling off) and to use "maracyn 2"! but from reading about it, dont seem like it's that easy to cure... any idea?? thnx ya'll.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its just fat, ive had neons and cardinals like that, and they were fine
maan, I really hope so... finally some good news (think). Thnx fishman! :icon_smil

·
Registered
19 Posts
It can be hard to determine if they are simply "hefty" from food or full of eggs, but I have some experience breeding these fish. I assure you that if you decide to not feed them for a day or two, they will not starve to death and at least you can get a better idea of what is causing the big belly. I would also be carefull about medicating the tank unless you feel it is required to save the fish as tetras are extra sensitive to some medications/treatments. A few questions...Have any of the affected fish died? How long have the neons looked this way? If the neons in question are gravid(with eggs), they should spawn after a dark period in the early light of morning. The eggs are laid in the water column and fertilized by the males. The eggs will fall to the bottom or stick to plant leaves, that is of course if the other fish don't eat them. (which they usually will) I can tell you some general guidlines for breeding neons if you would like to try, just ask.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can be hard to determine if they are simply "hefty" from food or full of eggs, but I have some experience breeding these fish. I assure you that if you decide to not feed them for a day or two, they will not starve ...
cool... glad u've got experience w/ breeding Neons. to answer ur ques...

1) none have died since I've noticed the swell 2 days ago.
2) I cant really stop feeding them, cause I've got other fish w/'em as well. e.g. Angel, Gourami
3) Not using any medication yet... unless if I have to, will do in a quarantine tank.

Note: they're acting fine, no odd behavior at all (paying, feeding, & pooping). and their swell is not odd, like one side, or other part of their body. Just their belly. also, be hard to catch them to quarantine w/out stressin them out.

few more question bout breeding;

1) do the male Neons chase the female like guppies (ddn't think so, since guppies are livebearers, right)??
2) if you can post step by setup/guide w/ useful pointers of a "HOW TO", I'm sure myself & most others will be grateful.

deff appreciate ur input. thnx man.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look like bloat to me tho. You can take the affected ones out and treat them.
Ok, sould I use "maracyn 2" like the shop recommended or do you know any better/easier methods??

p.s. I was thinking bout waiting few more days before start treating... thnx jczz.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
AquaTX01, not sure if you've already taken action, but for future reference - if you put that neon in a $6 plastic breeder placed in your tank, you'll be able to:

- keep it from eating or give it a special diet, while feeding others normally
- prevent other fish from nibbling on the corpse, should it die overnight of an infectious disease
- easily transfer that fish to a proper quarantine when and if you decide that's necessary

I don't know about neon tetra breeding, but I'm seeing what I assume is spawning behavior right now in my tank. Two have paired off in an isolated location, playing this ultra-fast game of tag, going round and round, rubbing scaly flesh against scaly flesh...

Ahem. :tongue:

The female is huge, but it's a more even curve across more of the body. Not like the picture you posted.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That swelling is NOT normal.

There's some serious internal issues going on there, perhaps intestinal blockage, parasites, tumors, infection... no way of knowing for sure.

I'd definitely QT the affected fish in case it's something contagious. What type of treatment to try is anyone's guess, but I'd personally start with Melafix & Pimafix and see what happens.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, good news guys... the swollen have come down to almost nothing now. one has a tiny bump on it's belly area, but not near as bad.

now DarkCobra, some of my Neons were doin what u described as mating/spawning behavior, but not sure if she was one of them.

n Laura, u were prob right. That's what I was worried bout, but glad it's not an issues anymore (I hope).

Thnx for all ya'lls input. I'll post again if same symptoms shows up..... :icon_smil

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like you got some rubbish advice from that store, I wouldn't bother asking them to be honest.

Glad it seems to be going OK now.

Just to reiterate, not feeding fish for a day or two will certainly not do them any harm, it is of course better than overfeeding. I feed every day, but I keep mostly livebearers, who are grazers, and fry in most tanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.