·
Registered
80 Posts
U.S. Weed Information:
Limnophila sessiliflora (Vahl) Blume

Asian marshweed
ambulia
limnophila
This plant can be weedy or invasive according to the authoritative sources noted below. This plant may be known by one or more common names in different places, and some are listed above. Click on an acronym to view each weed list, or click here for a composite list of Weeds of the U.S.

US Plant Protection and Quarantine. 2010. Federal noxious weed list (1 May 2010). USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Washington, DC.
STATE Assorted authors. 200_. State noxious weed lists for 46 states. State agriculture or natural resource departments.
Source: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LISE3

Also:
The United States Secretary of Agriculture was given the authority to declare plants "Noxious Weeds", and limit the interstate spread of such plants without a permit. The Secretary has the authority to inspect, seize, and destroy products, and quarantine areas, if necessary to contain, or limit the spread of such weeds.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Noxious_Weed_Act_of_1974

hope this helps, what I interpret this as is that you require a permit to transfer it across state lines. I hope some others can chime in because I'm interested in this topic as well

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
so i heard that Limnophila sessiliflora are forbidden within the united states... i'm not sure if this is true or not can anyone shed some light on this? and if it is banned, why?
Hi Bryanmc,

It is also listed as a noxious weed in the State of California.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok from my understanding is that the answer is a yes it is illegal to trade or sell this plant... bummer cause i had a lot of this in my aquarium lol now i cant even ship or sell them =/ but its not illegal to own them tho if you already have them... and yes they grown like wild fire, one stem can grow up to 12 feet !!! crazy right? lol

some people think what ever is in an aquarium belongs in the state river and thats so not true...

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
The Secretary has the authority to inspect, seize, and destroy products, and quarantine areas, if necessary to contain, or limit the spread of such weeds.
Hi Bryanmc1988,

Based upon the above, and what I know about inspections in the State of Washington, I strongly suspect that possession is not allowed. I know for a fact that WA state inspectors will confiscate and destroy Hygrophilia polysperma if it is found to be in someone's possession; including LFS. We do not allow H. polysperma or other noxious weeds to be traded or sold at our GSAS meetings.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Just compost what you have, switch to a nicer species that is not a potential noxious weed in your tank, nor the natural streams, lakes and rivers.

We have about 400 species/types available to us, I'm sure there's a dozen similar species worth far more $ in trade, plant sales, desirable. Better for you, better for everyone.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just compost what you have, switch to a nicer species that is not a potential noxious weed in your tank, nor the natural streams, lakes and rivers.

We have about 400 species/types available to us, I'm sure there's a dozen similar species worth far more $ in trade, plant sales, desirable. Better for you, better for everyone.

that is so true... so what to do with these throw them out? feed to my dogs? make weed con pie soup? <--- what ever that is lol or burn that mother F'er HOt cause we cold during the winter xD so many options and 1 mind to choice...

anyways so hows about rotala sunset? worth anything?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.