The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been looking at a new shower-head filter by AE Shop that uses a trickle down water effect on seperate boxes of mechanical and biological filtration medias(it looks a lot like those DIY ones on YouTube). I've been reading up on it and I'm seeing that these biological filters will completely remove both nitrites and nitrates, which is supposedly supposed to help plant growth. Theoretically, then, would fertilizers of macro/micro nutrients containing nitrogen elements not be needed, as they would subsequently just be filtered out by the medias?
Lots of love~~~

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Filters dont remove nitrATE, only nitrite. Anaerobic bacteria will remove nitrate, but you need to actually try to get it to grow.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Now this question made me curious.....does Bio-Home media remove Nitartes as they claim?
No. It is being promoted as some 'miracle' product when it isn't. How does it remove nitrates? Does it do water changes for people? If that wasn't bad enough, they are also telling people to overstock their tanks.
Biohome Plus filter media red 100kg better than Eheim - New and Used - PetPeoplesPlace.com

BEST FILTER MEDIA ON EARTH ! Perfect for Saltwater and Freshwater Aquarium even outdoor Pond.
1Kg is good for 3000 liter of freshwater and 1500 liter of salt water (3.8 liters= 1 gallon)
Benefits of using Biohome BIOHOME is a unique blend of sintered glass, for use in biological filtration units BIOHOME is the EASIEST, SAFEST and most COST EFFECTIVE Biological filter media available and has these distinct advantages over every other form of biological media
Microscopic tunnels and voids allow billions of Nitrifying and Denitrifying bacteria to live throughout its mass. (Bacteria have shelter but can still access water and food )
Biohome sintered glass is inert and doesn't release any residual gas or toxins into the environment ( It can't poison your fish )
Compact Biofilter will allow you to keep more fish in a smaller tank.
Smaller Biofilter unit is inconspicuous in your home.
Biohome costs you less than other forms of Bio-filter media because you need so much less.
Reduces the need for you to change water significantly.
With adequate pre-filter BIOHOME will give you a long service life.
BIOHOME Significantly reduces toxic nitrogen compounds including Nitrate.
BIOHOME media can easily be transferred between Aquaculture systems
Promotes vibrant health in your aquarium.
Bacteria grow quicker on Biohome because the surface is hydrophilic and allows Bacteria a better foothold than hydrophobic plastic mediums.
BIOHOME is suitable for all Aquaria including Cold water, Tropical, and Marine applications
Internal Structure of Biohome Sintered Glass Pellet
Cross section Magnified approx 500x
(Artists Impression - showing Micro-tunnels within the glass vessel)
Aquaculture groups and Governments throughout the world are seeking ways to make fish farming more environmentally friendly, because they have realised the former methods of raising aquatic organisms is not sustainable in the longer term.

Fish farmers can not expect to continually add nutrient to the area surrounding their fishfarm, without a devastating impact on the natural environment. It is ridiculous to condone this practice whilst banning the discharge of nutrients into our rivers and lakes, from primary and secondary industry and agriculture.

Biological Filtration is one of the most essential components of an efficient re-circulating system in aquaculture or an aquarium, whether it is a fresh or marine environment, a Biofilter is still required to remove, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate.

A enclosed system must have a biological filtration system of some type to maintain water quality, otherwise it will only be able to maintain water quality for short periods, and the water which is discharged is not suitable to support aquatic life. This may also be the case with some Biofilters which are inefficient. Inefficient Biofilters are also not environmentally friendly.

Bacteria ( Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter ) live on surfaces in the aquatic environment and compete with Algae for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate as a food source. Without these bacteria, the Algae would quickly over-populate the environment and although during daylight hours they enrich the water with oxygen, at night they can remove all the oxygen from the water.

If Algae dies in large numbers in a re-circulating system, or partially re-circulating the aquatic environment, fish kills will occur, because decomposing Algae release an enormous amount of toxins into the system.

Water without oxygen can not support fish or other aquatic life, and all fish and other organisms such as crustaceans would die. Therefore the removal of the Algae food source is usually a very positive step. (Green water hatcheries or systems specifically designed for Algae production are not included here)

Aquaculture systems are using re-circulation system technology are more efficient and impact much less upon the environment . However to use this technology effectively requires an efficient method for the removal of toxins.

BIOHOME IS THE MOST COST EFFICIENT METHOD AVAILABLE TO REMOVE TOXINS WITHOUT UPSETTING WATER QUALITY, (including mineral balance), OVER EXTENDED PERIODS, AND REQUIRES VERY LITTLE ENERGY USE, AND MAINTENANCE, TO KEEP OPERATIONAL.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry but even the makers of Biohome say it does nothing for nitrates. Here is information on media that has proof it does nothing.
Full test of 'denitrification media' is here.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for the article. Where do the makers of biohome say it does nothing? I went onto their website and the first thing I see is
"The most efficient biological filter media that supports aerobic and anaerobic bacteria that clears your water of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate that would harm your marine life."

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very interesting stuff, thanks for the article. Where do the makers of biohome say it does nothing? I went onto their website and the first thing I see is
"The most efficient biological filter media that supports aerobic and anaerobic bacteria that clears your water of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate that would harm your marine life."
Simple email to Great Wave Engineering that says they have no proof it does anything. Go ahead and email them yourself. However you have read the proof that it does not do what it says. Show me any research paper, study of where this crap and rocks from matrix do what they claim. There is none. Any company can claim anything they want for sales.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Simple email to Great Wave Engineering that says they have no proof it does anything. Go ahead and email them yourself. However you have read the proof that it does not do what it says. Show me any research paper, study of where this crap and rocks from matrix do what they claim. There is none. Any company can claim anything they want for sales.

Just shot them an email, thanks for all the information. Curious to see their reply if I get one.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
At this special time in history, is there any doubt that we all need to check and double check anything we read?
And that goes double for the folks who are trying to tell you that they have special inside information that most folks don't know!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great. We'll compare emails...

Here is their response:

Great question. Wish I had better answers. I'm working with some high school engineering and biochemistry students in Kentucky and this was one of the projects I suggested for them, so I hope they'll do a good study.

But, for now all we have are dozens, if not hundreds, of reviews claiming reductions in nitrates. Some of these I take with a grain of salt. Those are ones that claim their nitrates are zero after a week. I'm a little sceptical, but of course I have no idea what sort of tank they have.

On the other hand, I've also seen reports that after a number of weeks or even months they've seen their nitrates reduced to 10 or 20 ppm. Now once again, there is never a great deal of detail so I can't know what their tank is like, but this sounds much more realistic to me.

I started this business about six years ago because I wanted to use the media in my Koi Pond Filters that I was hoping to sell at the time. I never did sell any containing Biohome®, but all of my personal filters are running on BioGravel.

I have two filters on my 5800 gallon koi pond that run a total of 84 kgs of BioGravel. These never reduced my nitrates which ran at 100 ppm for years. Of course this wasn't really too big a surprise since a pond of that size needs about 150 kgs of Biohome to achieve nitrate reduction.

I eventually added two Shower Filters holding 150 kgs of SuperBioGravel. This reduced my nitrates to between 30-40 ppm. I'm now using an RO system processing the pond water and my nitrates are running at about 25 ppm so I've taken down the Showers. We'll see if that affects the nitrates.

So I'm fairly confident that Biohome does reduce nitrates when an appropriate amount is used in accordance with our recommendations. We have found that water conditioners which also bind ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, which is most of them, conflicts with the bacteria that does the job in Biohome. In general, other chemical treatments and media can also stop the process.

In six years I've had probably five or six customers claim they were not able to get nitrate reduction. We've always provided these individuals with information about the amount required and cautioning them about water conditioners or other chemicals that might stop the process.

Unfortunately, I can't recall any of these that have responded one way or the other whether our advice allowed them to eventually achieve nitrate reduction. I did receive quite a detailed report from one customer that found that carbon dosing definitely improved nitrate reduction with Biohome. You can see her report here:

https://wordpress-498059-1583934.cloudwaysapps.com/adriene-littleton/

Hope you found this helpful. Thanks for your interest.

emailed ended, my thoughts:

I'd say I'm pleased but at the same time skeptical. As you said, it's definitely anecdotal. It neither proves or disproves the saying that biohome removes nitrates. In the end, it seems like it's a better idea to just get a normal, cheap media (I've used seachem biomax with great success, it handles a hell of a bioload and it's cheap), keep up on your water changes, and add plants if possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
At this special time in history, is there any doubt that we all need to check and double check anything we read?
And that goes double for the folks who are trying to tell you that they have special inside information that most folks don't know!!

I don't know what you're trying to get at here?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd say I'm pleased but at the same time skeptical. As you said, it's definitely anecdotal. It neither proves or disproves the saying that biohome removes nitrates. In the end, it seems like it's a better idea to just get a normal, cheap media (I've used seachem biomax with great success, it handles a hell of a bioload and it's cheap), keep up on your water changes, and add plants if possible.

I asked the direct question:

I would like some information please. Biohome claims to reduce Nitrates. So I know that you guys can show me the empirical evidence of this via a 3rd party test report of some kind. I would like a link or even a PDF file of the testing that was done to proves that Biohome will indeed reduce nitrates from credible (biologist/chemists) sources that it is capable of harboring anaerobic bacteria that reduce nitrates.

I'm sure you have this I just can't find it on the Great Wave Web site or anywhere on the internet.
Great Wave Response:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm unaware of any such study. We've had hundreds of customers report this and a few that haven't had any luck reducing nitrates, but there are no formal studies that I'm aware of.

I'll ask my friends in the UK if they are aware of any, but I'm not sure what it would prove. I suppose it would give us a baseline of how much ammonia can be converted into nitrite and then into nitrate and finally into gaseous nitrogen, but how much that would apply in the real world I'm not sure.

Every tank is a little different, the type of fish, the amount of feeding, that amount of nitrate in the makeup water, how the makeup water is treated. There are a lot of variables, as many as there are fish enthusiasts and so I'm afraid you'll need to take the word of our many successful customers or decide that if we don't have some scientist that has shown this it must not be true. I'll let you know if I get any further information. Thanks for your interest.

Which means Great Wave Engineering can provide no science of any kind that their products reduces nitrates at any time.

The above talks about ponds and big tanks which are ALL planted. As you know the only way to reduce nitrates is with water changes and PLANTS. Everyone that uses this stuff has a planted tank. So of course nitrates will be lower. It's chemistry 101.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I asked the direct question:

I would like some information please. Biohome claims to reduce Nitrates. So I know that you guys can show me the empirical evidence of this via a 3rd party test report of some kind. I would like a link or even a PDF file of the testing that was done to proves that Biohome will indeed reduce nitrates from credible (biologist/chemists) sources that it is capable of harboring anaerobic bacteria that reduce nitrates.

I'm sure you have this I just can't find it on the Great Wave Web site or anywhere on the internet.
Great Wave Response:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm unaware of any such study. We've had hundreds of customers report this and a few that haven't had any luck reducing nitrates, but there are no formal studies that I'm aware of.

I'll ask my friends in the UK if they are aware of any, but I'm not sure what it would prove. I suppose it would give us a baseline of how much ammonia can be converted into nitrite and then into nitrate and finally into gaseous nitrogen, but how much that would apply in the real world I'm not sure.

Every tank is a little different, the type of fish, the amount of feeding, that amount of nitrate in the makeup water, how the makeup water is treated. There are a lot of variables, as many as there are fish enthusiasts and so I'm afraid you'll need to take the word of our many successful customers or decide that if we don't have some scientist that has shown this it must not be true. I'll let you know if I get any further information. Thanks for your interest.

Which means Great Wave Engineering can provide no science of any kind that their products reduces nitrates at any time.

The above talks about ponds and big tanks which are ALL planted. As you know the only way to reduce nitrates is with water changes and PLANTS. Everyone that uses this stuff has a planted tank. So of course nitrates will be lower. It's chemistry 101.

Yep, absolutely no data on it. In my opinion, it's not even physically possible. For anaerobic bacteria, you need a deep substrate. In saltwater tanks people need 2+ inches of sand to even think about anaerobic bacteria, and water treatment facilities have huge sludge ponds for them. A little piece of filter media won't cut it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Considering how complex this hobby can be, are there any other aspects that can provide scientific evidence?
Good question, I have found none that prove that it reduces nitrates anywhere on the web, not surprising. Probably because the math does not work for the pore sizes so nobody else will go to the lengths to test it, not needed. Knowing that water takes the path of least resistance there will never be any water movement through hard media like this.

And as the authors says:

1. The media would have to have large amounts of organic compounds inside the media which would remove oxygen from the water by producing carbon dioxide gas (“anaerobic” means “without oxygen”).
  2. The media would have to have large amounts of simple organic carbohydrates inside the media which would act as what are called “electron donors” and allow the reduction of nitrate to nitrogen gas. In sewage treatment plants they add glycerin or ethanol to provide the simple organic carbohydrates.
  3. The media would have to somehow move the water around inside the media particle so that each denitrifying bacterium could come in contact with the many nitrate molecules it will need to function and reduce the nitrate to nitrogen gas.
  4. The pores in the media would have to be large enough to allow a nitrate reducing bacteria to live inside it.
  5. The media would have to be permeable to allow water to pass into it, be purified of nitrate and then pass back out of the media.
  6. The media would have to be very impermeable to further oxygen permeation from the surrounding water.

If any of these criteria are not met the anaerobic decomposition won’t work. No media has a single one of these requirements covered, let alone all of them. This point cannot be emphasized enough.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I don't know what you're trying to get at here?
This is a posting from 2017 and it promoted the idea that there was a great product on the market but here we are four years later and the product is still not in general use, which makes me believe that a lot of people were being sold "snake oil" which is what most of the information on the internet is promoting if it is not from a source which can be verified and checked.
The very term "snake oil" has such a long history that we should laugh at most of the bad information if we have looked at history at all but instead, we find there is a very large portion of the population who still want to believe the oddball, loonie stories they are reading!

If there were a great product that made it possible to avoid water changes, I'm betting it would be very common by four years later!

The world is full of lies and lots of people who will take advantage of the folks who believe those lies without doing any checking of facts!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts