The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because i would like to add a female to my tank but after seeing a male that had once in there i thought i should ask before i go and buy one.

So are they just a mean as the males or not?

·
Registered
514 Posts
female Betta's aren't known to be as mean as the male, that why you can keep more then one female Betta together but there are alway a chance you can get a pretty nasty one. Some female Betta will even outfight a male Betta.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Female bettas will fight each other. They want to form a pecking order of sorts to see who is the alpha female. Once the pecking order is formed, they don't fight as much. Just give them plenty of space and hiding places.. Don't put them together in a 10 gallon tank.

I have 1 male & 3 females in a 29 gallon.
and a father male and 6" betta fries together in a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've heard to keep female bettas in groups of 3 (or was it 4?) or more to prevent fighting. One female will become the dominant female and the fighting should not occur often.

How true this is I cannot say. The one female I have is pretty docile. She doesn't even bother shrimp.

·
Registered
234 Posts
yea i was thinking, those are some pretty short fries, wouldint even fill a guppy nor a man wanting his fries, im sorry im tired. from what i understand females are more of a community fish then a male, although i have seen but not recomended a male in a 30 community.

·
Registered
888 Posts
One male is fine in a community tank as long as his tankmates are carefully selected. The only problem is that several fish species find it a temptation to nip its extraordinarily long fins. As far as the females are concerned, some are docile, some are not. How they can be good community fish depends on the temperament of the female bettas you get. Answering the original question, some are almost as bad as the males.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It all depends on the personality of the fish. I had a female betta that is as pugnacious as any male. I put her in a tank with some guppies and she tore the tail of one of the male guppies to shreds. Back she went to her own little tank where she lived happily alone.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have 1 male & 3 females in a 29 gallon....

I'm sorry, I don't know if I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but are you saying that you are able to keep 1 male and 3 female bettas in the same tank? These are ADULT bettas??? How is this possible? I thought males are agressive with even females...?? I am intrigued....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just remember, there are exceptions to every rule. This is all hearsay, you understand, but I have run across mention that if the tank is big enough with plenty of places for the females to hide that you can keep a male with females. I suspect it really depends on the male as I've run across mention of some that can be very aggressive and absolutely won't leave the females alone. I have also heard that it's easier to put females that have been raised together in a tank. Probably because they've already established their pecking order I suspect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.