The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Farlowellas are a type of whiptail, but a lot of whiptails aren't algae eaters, so be careful. They're supposed to be better fish-for-fish than otos, and a bit hardier, but not quite as likely to find little nooks and crannies.

My experience was that they didn't clue in to supplemental feeding of veggies much, unlike my otos. As such, though they always had veggies in the tank, the three I had more or less starved to death. The 25 odd otos in the same tank were fine. Not enough algae to support either without supplemental feeding in my tanks.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
No fish is going to decimate all algae. Twig cats only graze so they will keep biofilm down and they don't damage plants. I haven't had whiptails but would love to someday.

Baby bristlenose are awesome on GDA. I put 6 into an outside heated bare bottom 29 gallon tank with thick GDA on all 5 panes last summer and it was completely gone in a couple days. That was the only time I can positively say fish made a difference. Other than that it's mostly the tank looks better but I couldn't say if it was a change in lighting, fertilizing or my cleanup efforts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.