The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if bristle/bushynose plecos are generally destructive? I just added a small (~2") last weekend and since then, I'm starting to see floating leaves from my anubias nana and lobelia cardinalis "dwarf". The lobelia, in particular, I noticed several floating leaves yesterday and then today, I noticed the whole top 3" or so of the plant literally separated from the rest of it and is floating. It's the only recent fish that I've added. The other fauna are just cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, zebra danios, some cory cats, 3 small clown loaches and a bunch of ottos.
I'm debating whether I should return it or not. If this is going to be a normal thing, then out he comes.

-Ryan

·
Registered
786 Posts
they aren't destructive in the sense that they are nibbling on leaves, but they are the "bull in the chinashop." They swim about and old leaves, plants that aren't rooted yet, etc may be disturbed. They are just goofy, clumsy fish like a having bull mastiff puppy but in your tank.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, that may explain why I can't get my Riccia to stay down. :( My 2 Ancistrus like to do somewhat the same. Fortunately they were added to a tank that a lot of established plants so they didn't get kicked up much. If you can get stuff anchored down well then they shouldn't have anything to kick up. Hmmm... gotta figure out how to get that Riccia anchored.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree....they are clumsy fish. My guy stays on his driftwood most of the time, from what I can tell. :) The Hygro in my 55g floats up alot, but the other stem plants stay in place. Smaller foreground plants may have a problem staying planted with a BN in the tank.

·
Registered
594 Posts
From my experience, if theres not enough algae in the tank (glass or wood etc), they will start munching on your plants.
You definitely need to feed them along with them scavaging in the tank. Algae wafers, veggies, etc. For the most part they'll leave plants alone, unless it's spinich, or some soft type of plant ;)

Tina

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you feed yours spinach, Tina? What kind? Just the frozen stuff or do you go fresh? I've never tried that, but I should. I just found out last night that they do not prefer asparagus stalk, even though it was boiled til soft. They won't touch algae wafers, but they are spoiled on green beans, zucchini, carrots, etc. ;)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There should be enough algae in the tank. I get a little gsa on the glass and leaves, plus some black stringy stuff mixed into the blyxa and HM sometimes, which I think is staghorn.
heh, you have more energy than I do, if you feed your fish spinich and boiled veggies. I just drop algae tablets in there every day or so.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have eleven BNs, so I like to give them lots of TLC. ;) Sadly, I had to put one down today. He had gotten caught in a root of a java fern and trying to dislodge himself, the root ripped through his gill and half way into his head. Man, that was brutal to see.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do you feed yours spinach, Tina? What kind? Just the frozen stuff or do you go fresh? I've never tried that, but I should. I just found out last night that they do not prefer asparagus stalk, even though it was boiled til soft. They won't touch algae wafers, but they are spoiled on green beans, zucchini, carrots, etc. ;)
I got organic fresh spinich from the farmer's Market here. I guess any good organic spinich or greens would do though. I rubberband it to their feeding rock.

Asparagus, hmmm, maybe the smell? Can you imagine having to swim in that after one of them goes?

Mine likes cucumbers too. Been really lazy though and got some of those algae vacation feeders for them. Mine don't like the Hikari algae wafers either, they like the bottom feeder ones better (the one with the cory on the label).

LOL, I even put the glass and plexi covers from other tanks for them to clean (you know the algae that forms on the underside?), they clean those off really well ;). (this is in my baby bn grow out tank)

Tina

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was thinking of trying those bottom feeder wafers. Wasn't sure if they'd be too meaty?

As for Ringram's question, mine also don't bother my plants at all. They are frequently found on the undersides of my crypts, but I've never seen any holes in the leaves. They seem to clean off any algae from my slow growers and then move on. For a tiny carpet or something like that, though...all bets are off. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.