The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I should get a group of black ruby barbs since I'm having such bad luck with getting tetras to survive quarantine.

Go with something like:
100gal planted
1 pair of electric blue acaras
1 lrg angelfish
8+ sterbai corries
8 rainbow fish
And maybe inplace of tetras get a group of black ruby barbs or something
?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You losing more than seven fish a week. Maybe you need to find the cause rather than thinking about adding numbers to those statistics. Even the strongest fish won't survive in the wrong conditions. With the correct environment even a wimp of a fish will die of old age. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's obvious.
I need to nuke the tank with bleach and start over. Whatever it was killed everything.

I'm just saying I've never had a barb get sick and tetras seem to have a host of diseases like neon tetra disease etc..

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Many tetras come from waters with very low dissolved solids, and this is not catered for by most people.
Other tetras are caught as the rivers dry out seasonally, and they are subjected to bad water and the stress of capture and transfer.
There is a let the fish acclimatise to your water, mantra. So they do not often get ideal conditions.
I well kept neon tetra can live 10 years.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Have these fish been in the tank a while or where they just put in? There's got to be something wrong in your tank. Once tetra are establish they should be hardy. Lemon and Columbian are pretty hardy. What does your water test at?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bleaching the tank is a really, really bad idea.

First off, I'd be checking the condition of the fish in the shop you purchased them from. Lemon Tetras from my experience are fairly hardy. I'd rate them with Head and Taillites and Flame Tetras. Rugged enough in my keeping them to have spawned in a rough and tumble 40L community tank and had their babies survive. YMMV.

The other thing to note is your water parameters, is the tank running cycled filters, and able to process the waste of the fish in quarantine, Ammonia will kill even the healthiest fish.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Quarantine water parameters are needed???

Additional fish @ this time could be a bad idea.

Where did the fish come from???
Some big stores don't take such good care of their live stock.

Do you automatically treat quarantined fish?
This can be good or bad depending.

Bleach is a bit drastic, it will work though.
Get an extra bottle of Prime if attempting and a total free chlorine test.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My water parameters are not noteworthy. Tank was cycled for about 3 years. It's my quarantine/ juvi bristlenose fry grow out tank. I bought 11 lemon tetras from lfs and 3 from petco.

They were doing great for a couple weeks then showed symptoms of either neon tetra disease or mouth rott.
I tried full treatments of kanaplex with furan 2 followed by full treatments of anti fungal meds. Everything but plecos died.

Btw, not sure what to do with them. Is it safe to give them away or could they transmit the disease?

I plan on removing the plecos, tearing down the tank, bleaching and drying everything out.... Then starting over with a heavy dose of de-clorinator and starting a fishless cycle again

The columbian tetra probably wasn't related. Those are in another quarantine tank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.