The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any leafy plants safe with silver dollars?
I am thinking about planting my 110x (48x18x30") with some low light plants like jave fern and crypts. Is there any chance that this could work? Or should I just get rid of the silver dollars?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Stranger combos work but aren't silver dollars brackish? Some have very successful luck keeping plant eating cichleds in their planted tanks...

I'd try anubais and Java Fern as both are very tough plants and slow growers in most cases.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All silver dollars that i'm aware of are fresh water, hailing from south american rivers. Basically big tetras mine eat anything green i try to put in with them. But then again mine are red hook silver dollars and i think the body size of my hand gives them a bit more of an appetite than the normal smaller species.

I wouldnt get horribly attached to the greenery if you try the idea. I'd have to agree with the anubias/java fern idea. Those seem to keep them a bit more put off but they still munch them eventually, if they dont my lungfish gets them :(.

Jason

·
Registered
295 Posts
Silver Dollars are members of the characin family and quite attached to fresh water. :) I've not found anything that the won't eat. I've been told that they don't like plants of the Crinum genus due to the "taste." I can't vouch for the validity of that statement because I've never tried a Water Onion with my Silver Dollars. I gave up on live plants with mine, they're little underwater lawnmowers. :hihi:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts