The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Im Xythus, and Im new here. I have recently started shrimp keeping last year due to their exotic prettiness and awesomeness. I really love to just observe them in the tank doing their business and nomming on algae I can't see.

I've heard from people and read through some of the posts here and what it says varies. Some say Amanos (/Japonicas) are very peaceful and never do anything, while some others say they attack and are bullies.

So, I have a 10 gallon Tank with a shrimp population:

16 Amanos (all of them actually quite fat and large, with the exception of two really tiny ones)
1 Sunkist Orange Shrimp
1 Tiger
1 Black Shrimp (Bee)
2 Cherries

The first week everything is fine. I maintained the water temp (constant 76F), pH (7, give or take .1 up or down) and nitrate (0) pretty well.

3rd week, the two tiny japonicas disappear. I find it weird, but I assumed that they were hiding underneath that cave-ornament in the tank, or among the duckweed, java moss or anacharis. :icon_neut

7th week, the black bee and tiger shrimp disappear too. I start getting really suspicious, and search the tank for them, but nowhere to be found. :icon_ques

Today, I can't find my Sunkist shrimp anywhere and Im really upset. He was my very favorite. I go through the entire tank, gently arousing the waters to see if its anywhere in hiding, but its nowhere to be found as well. Checked filter, and the area around the tank if it had jumped out or something. Nope, no shrimps, dead or alive.

Do you think the Japonicas are attacking them? And then eating them right afterwards? I fear that my two cherries are next. I feed them every other day, so its not like they are starving... Was also wondering if I should separate the tiny shrimps from the amanos, I really don;t want to lose anymore! :help:

Thanks!
Xy

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
I haven't had any experience with amanos is eating other shrimp but I think that 16 amanos in a ten gallon is probably a bit too much. I only have 18 in my 95G. Although I can say that amanos are somewhat aggressive. My largest amano, 1.25-1.5" always snatches the foot tablet away from my 4" rainbow shark which I think is pretty bold to do. Amanos are also considered aggressive shrimp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's very typical for an amano to snatch the food away from others. Even small ones do that whenever they can. I don't really notice them attacking other shrimps. IMO, your tank temperature might be a little bit high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys! Im going to get a 2.5 gal set up, let it cycle, then move 3-5 amanos into that one.

And I will lower the temp to....72F? Or 73? (I read somewhere that above 80's amanos get protien issues)

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
My amanos are bullies to my killifish, endlers and even bettas if the fish get inbetween the food and the amano. They're very aggressive when it comes to food, but very peaceful when there's nothing but algae to eat in the tank.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Yah, especially tiger and bee shrimp, they cannot stand 80 degrees, the will die fairly quickly in temperatures that high. I think the mid 70's is fine for all of them though. You can lower to 73 to be safe, most shrimp like it right around there.

I personally set all of my shrimp tanks to 73 because everyone seems happiest there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah, especially tiger and bee shrimp, they cannot stand 80 degrees, the will die fairly quickly in temperatures that high. I think the mid 70's is fine for all of them though. You can lower to 73 to be safe, most shrimp like it right around there.

I personally set all of my shrimp tanks to 73 because everyone seems happiest there.
Ahhh.

Thank you! I guess thats where my tiger, bee and sunkist went. Died and THEN got devoured my amanos.

I rather like amanos though... :eek: Hardy, cute, fun to feed during food time! Although I fear the day one of them wanders out of the tank and I step on it ...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Amanos are more "aggressive" mainly because they are larger and proportionately more able to produce injury or eat other shrimp. They are not aggressive like ghost shrimp, as they are still mainly algae eaters though they are capable of getting a hold of and eating smaller shrimp. This is usually only an issue in a small tank or one where there is not enough for them to graze on constantly. This size and ability of theirs is also what makes them a super algae eater for the filamentous algaes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In my experience Amanos are more assertive than aggressive. I've never seen them Really trouble cherries, fish, etc. Will they push something else out of the way for a piece of food though? Definitely. It's more comical to watch than anything else.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I watched my amano go after my beta to get and algea pellet. The first time I saw this I was shocked at how aggressive the amano was.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I still have never seen any aggression when it comes to Ghost SHrimp, mine is pretty peaceful in my RCS tank. I have never had amanos so i wouldnt know about them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have amanos and although i have seen them push other shrimp out of the way to get food...i've never seen anymore aggression than that. When i'm not feeding they don't seem to bother anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine are usually more than happy to graze on algae, if I drop a food pellet of some kind in they're more than happy to muscle other shrimp out of the way, and sometimes fish several times their size will get chased off. Other times they happily share... Depends on how hungry they are I guess :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.