The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If it's been that way since you've had it, chances are it's a genetic or physical defect.

If the fish looked fine when you got it but you've noticed the arch develop more recently, then chances are good it's a disease of some sort.

Either way, it's not likely that it can be treated. Personally, I'd either cull the fish, or at least keep it quarantined and keep it from breeding so it can't pass that along.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It´s very common for guppies to develop a body like that. The weight of the tail in the case of males, and old females that have bred a lot develop a "hump". It´s also a sign of old age. Guppies don´t live too long, how old is she?

·
Registered
558 Posts
did you breed him from guppies in your tank??

at one time i kept guppies, started with 4, 2 males and 2 females

by the F3 generation i started noticing genetic defects in guppies once they hit adolescence such as arched and "broken" backs

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that old females get something like osteoporosis (bone deformity over time).. It's genetic but maybe feed them more variety of foods.

I raised guppies as a kid and they always suffer after a few generations. I always attributed their health issues to them not living in a semi-brackish environment which could be optimal for their health.

·
Registered
544 Posts
She looks like an old fish. Even though you only had her 2 months doesn´t mean she is not old, unless you bred her and know her age... it is very common of guppies to develop that hump...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, guppies will get like that in old age. You will also see it develop in very inbred guppies, if you are leaving fry in with their parents for several generations. I did that when I was young, and lots of my fish ended up looking like that. I even saw guppy siamese twins once, and they survived to adulthood joined in the middle of their bodies. She could also be sick, or it could be a nutritional deficiency like rickets (Do fish get that?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts