The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased some AR 'mini' and they came as stems cut without any roots. I have watched a couple of videos on youtube and read a couple of articles, but i wanted to make sure all i do is pull a couple of leaves off from the base and stick them into my substrate? Do i need to do anything else to successfully plant this plant?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Nope, just plant them in the substrate and they will grow new roots.

Some float plants to encourage root growth. I personally have not had the best success with that method (stems start to melt and no real root growth IME).

I just plant them straight away. Some remove any leaves that would become buried in the substrate. Some others also leave those leaves on to act as an anchor. I've done both and it seems leaving the leaves didn't cause any negative effect (those leaves would melt, but them helping keep it buried to establish roots was nice. And growth didn't seem stunted while those leaves melted).

If it has dead leaves, it may help to remove the badly damaged leaves (the plant would waste energy and growth time, trying to repair those unrepairable damaged leaves).
Other than that, nothing too it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, just plant them in the substrate and they will grow new roots.

Some float plants to encourage root growth. I personally have not had the best success with that method (stems start to melt and no real root growth IME).

I just plant them straight away. Some remove any leaves that would become buried in the substrate. Some others also leave those leaves on to act as an anchor. I've done both and it seems leaving the leaves didn't cause any negative effect (those leaves would melt, but them helping keep it buried to establish roots was nice. And growth didn't seem stunted while those leaves melted).

If it has dead leaves, it may help to remove the badly damaged leaves (the plant would waste energy and growth time, trying to repair those unrepairable damaged leaves).
Other than that, nothing too it.

Thanks for the guidance everything went smoothly. I feel like the person that I bought them from cut these stems from the sides because when I planted them, they were curling to the point that they were almost touching the substrate. Do you think that the leaves will detect the new light source and begin to grow upward?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.