The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally eliminating the buckets from my water change routine on my 75. Doing a 50% weekly with buckets just doesn't work out nice for my back. So I'm looking at the aqueon water changer. The tank is in my living room near the front door which has a spigot for my garden hose right there. Would the aqueon water changer connect to that or would I need some sort of adapter? I want to use the aqueon water changer but can't use my sinks. Others in the house don't want that plus my faucets are these fancy looking kind and aren't threaded what so ever. Plus the connection outside is lower than the tank so gravity always is a plus when I drain.

Let me know if they connect to your garden hose connections. I've never used any of these auto water changer type devices before.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
it should come with the required adapter, but u may not even need it depending on thread size. If you do need it and it only comes with the platic adapter go the the HW store and get a metal one. should be under $5

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you are just draining and filling from a hose, why bother with the water changer? Buy a $10 hose.

The ability to hook up to a faucet is the main selling point of an auto water changer.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may look at that, but I need to find a water potable hose for less than the price of the water changer which I can get one for $28. I don't want to use standard garden hose because of the harmful chemicals some are known to possess.

I already own a simple gravel vac for draining out the front door. It is a standard large aquarium siphon you would find at any fish store but I added 25' of vinyl hose to drain outside, cost me only 6 bucks or so at home depot for the hose. And gravity allows me to drain the tank pretty easy. So I really could settle for just a fill method. I was just tempted in doing the all in one method unless you guys think it would be better just to use the siphon to drain and a separate potable water hose to fill it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I may look at that, but I need to find a water potable hose for less than the price of the water changer which I can get one for $28. I don't want to use standard garden hose because of the harmful chemicals some are known to possess.

I already own a simple gravel vac for draining out the front door. It is a standard large aquarium siphon you would find at any fish store but I added 25' of vinyl hose to drain outside, cost me only 6 bucks or so at home depot for the hose. And gravity allows me to drain the tank pretty easy. So I really could settle for just a fill method. I was just tempted in doing the all in one method unless you guys think it would be better just to use the siphon to drain and a separate potable water hose to fill it.
Potable water hose ... Any new clean garden hose will do the job. Just connect it to your spiggot and Bob's your Uncle ... :bounce:

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just remember hearing algaecides and other things like lead are sometimes in your standard garden hose and you would ideally want to get one for potable or drinking water.

Do you guys think I should buy the aqueon water changer or it would be really a waste of money and would be better off with spending the money on a good hose dedicated to just filling my fish tanks and just use my siphon I've been using to drain it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I find the water changer to help me save time and I do like using it over running it into a bucket or out a window, however, whichever one you get, go to lowes or order a METAL adapter for your sink if you choose the sink route, as the plastic adapter it comes with strips fast screwing it into your sink with fine threads and the weight of the spigot/unit hanging off 3-4 threads. Trust me on that part!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
If you just drink from a regular garden hose the taste of the water is really bad, I would buy the kit as well.

It will work in the kitchen sink, I clean up with Softscrub with bleach afterwards. So nobody gets any fish cooties. You know all water is nasty, fish pee in that stuff, drink beer instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.