The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Aqueon 24" dual bulb T5NO fixture half priced for $30. However I just learned of the importance of good quality reflectors and HO vs. NO on Hoppy's thread. I've found a good price on a Hagen Glo single bulb 24" T5HO for $70. The Glo fixture seems to have at least a decent or very good reflector. According to Hoppy's graph I should be able to grow even high light plants with the single Glo T5HO fixture. I still have the box and receipt to the Aqueon fixture. Would it be worth spending the extra money for the Glo fixture and the ability to grow any plant I'd like?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The reflector in the Hagen GLO fixture is only a fair one, not a very good one. It is basically a flat reflector behind the bulb, but with lots of room on either side of the bulb so some reflected light can get by the bulb. Very good reflectors have bends in them and you can see 3 or more bulbs when you look up at the light (2 or more reflections and the bulb). With either of those lights you should be able to grow just about anything if you also use CO2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I ask where you found the Hagen fixture? I'm looking for a deal...
Amazon.com

I think I'll just stick with what I have. I can grow up to medium light plants so that's good enough. I got too good of a deal on it for half price to go and spend over twice as much just for a little extra light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reflector in the Hagen GLO fixture is only a fair one, not a very good one. It is basically a flat reflector behind the bulb, but with lots of room on either side of the bulb so some reflected light can get by the bulb. Very good reflectors have bends in them and you can see 3 or more bulbs when you look up at the light (2 or more reflections and the bulb). With either of those lights you should be able to grow just about anything if you also use CO2.
It's a low tech tank. No co2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll suggest your local hydroponics shop for single fixtures and decent reflectors, at prices we find surprisingly low.
I don't think we have a local hydroponics shop, LOL. I live in a fairly small town. I don't even think the nearest large city of Beaumont, Tx. has one but I don't know. I'll just stick with the one I got.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Glo fixtures put out Alot more light then the Aqueon T5NO fixtures do.
Ive got both and they do not compare.
It's tempting to get the Glo. Are there any other lights in that price range that maybe have a better reflector than the Glo? Do you guys think the aqueon is adequate for my tank?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im really digging the Aquasun fixtures by Zoomed.
Iv got one over a 40B.

They are T5HO and have a much wider spread of light compared to a Glo or a Aqueon fixture. Single reflector fixture but they are much wider.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Im really digging the Aquasun fixtures by Zoomed.
Iv got one over a 40B.

They are T5HO and have a much wider spread of light compared to a Glo or a Aqueon fixture. Single reflector fixture but they are much wider.
The way that the fixture mounts though; you can't have glass tops unless you saw off part of the fixture legs, which is really annoying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You cant hang the fixture?

Your going to need to be flexible on your options if you want something that completely
full fills your needs.

Ive got my Zoomed fixture suspended above my aquarium.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Your going to need to be flexible on your options if you want something that completely
full fills your needs.

I'm in an apartment and I'm not even supposed to have an aquarium without a deposit, but luckily our apartments are cool like that. Still no one has answered if they feel the Aqueon dual 24" T5NO fixture is adequate for my tank though. It seems that It would be according to Hoppy's graphs, but only up to medium light plants. How long of a photo period do y'all think I would need?

·
Registered
62 Posts
8 hour photo period.

Looked into any of the Odyssea lights?

And you do know you can suspend a light without even having to touch the wall or ceiling dont you?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

full fills your needs.

It's really easy to find something that does everything the Zoomed does AND has workable legs (i.e. a fixture that doesn't essentially force you to hang it). Although if you are hanging it, at least the casing on the Zoomed fixture can accommodate it well. And HighTech is right; you can build a mount into your stand and hang your lights above your tank that way.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My aqueon was cheap... So I bought it.. I can grow anything form low to very highlight plants with it. However my tank is incredibly shallow. I dont think I would put the fixture on anything taller. 8 inches from substrate to light btw.
I'm no expert lol.. at all... But I would seriously get something else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
8 hour photo period.

Looked into any of the Odyssea lights?

And you do know you can suspend a light without even having to touch the wall or ceiling dont you?
Yeah, I've thought about making a bracket off my tank stand but haven't put much thought into it yet. The Odyssea 24" dual T5HO is a nice looking light, but I'd have to suspend it with the way the sliding brackets are made. They have to sit on the inside of the tank like the ZooMed fixture it looks like. I'm not keen on taking the glass canopy off because I don't want to have to top off the tank every couple of days. Theres a great price online for the Odyssea fixture though. I'd love to get it. How's the reflector on that one? Not that it matters because with that much light it might even be too much light with a poor reflector.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts