The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is in the wrong place on the forum.

So I just read a thread about DIY modification about using sponges and media on Tetra Whisper and Aquaclear HOB filters but mine is a little different. I have the Aqueon QuietFlow 10 LED Pro and it is close to the Tetra Whisper but has 2 blue plastic inserts which make putting a intake sponge and/or media, a little bit of a tight fit.
It has a carbon filter cartridge which I know has benefits but when replaced, gets rid of the good bacteria which is not good, so I want to add something in the filter that will keep the good bacteria.
My filter also has a “heavy” flow I guess you could say. It creates a crater in my Seachem Black Sand I have in my tank and would love to reduce it. I bought a large lava rock that is bowl like to see if that helps and I was thinking of adding a Fluval prefilter sponge on the intake to reduce the flow too.
My tank is a 10gal if that makes a difference and I plan to add live plants.
I posted a pic of my filter.
Any advice and tips will be great. I would also really like to get a detailed instruction on how and where to add media/sponge to the inside of the filter if you advise that. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yes 400GPH is a bit much for a 10gal tank. 4x to much.

Just go by a aquaclear 20, right gph for that size tank and it doesn’t use proprietary cartridges. The biggest and best bio filter in your tank is substrate and plants once you add them. Don’t worry about bio in filter, all you really need that for is circulation and mechanical filtering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts