The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm setting up an Evolve 8 with Fluval Stratum substrate, anubias and dhg to house a couple of danio erythromicrons and khuli loaches.

Would adding a bag of biomedia behind the filter pad be sufficient for supplementing the filtration, or could I remove the filter pad entirely and stack media like in a canister setup?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I did on mine: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=488001&highlight=

I keep shrimp in mine and the plastic filter pad holder works perfectly to keep some sponge pressed up against the over flow grates. I think the stock filter pad contains carbon (I tossed mine with no intention of using it) so keep that in mind if you dose ferts.
That is a great mod! Thanks for the tips... I think I will give this a try. I'm giving the Fluval strata soil a try which is supposed to have macro and micro nutrients. We'll see how it goes but I may dose if the plants need. I may also be adding co2 depending on how the dhg does.

How's your tank doing now? I'm also going to be adding my two emerald danios :)

ps- why did you switch out the light? Was the light not sufficient for growing low-medium light plants like it's suppose to?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Tank is doing great. The new light came up for sale here on the forum so I grabbed it. I'm not sure how the stock light is long term for plants since I didn't use it long. With the finnex, I use floaters to diffuse the light but I get lazy and it blocks to much and slows growth below. I thought about removing the floaters but I think emeralds like the cover, and when I'm at work I take the tank cover off. I use the tank cover at night and on weekends... Whenever I am not there just to be safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is what I did on mine: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=488001&highlight=

I keep shrimp in mine and the plastic filter pad holder works perfectly to keep some sponge pressed up against the over flow grates. I think the stock filter pad contains carbon (I tossed mine with no intention of using it) so keep that in mind if you dose ferts.
i didn't think shrimp would be cool with how strong the current is in this tank? i also have an 8 with three micro rasboras for now but i didn't think shrimp would enjoy how strong the current is in there.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My danios prefer cover too... they do have great little personalities though :)

Since I have a cat, the lid has to stay on but I've noticed a lot of condensation and wondering if that will have any impact on the lighting.

Will you be posting any updates soon?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have the pump turned down all the way and I aim the nozzle slightly down and against the closest wall. The shrimp have been fine, I brought in 4 from home and now have lots more than that in there lol. I have not taken anything apart since setting it up around Thanksgiving so the flow could have slowed a little more if bacteria and such are lining the pump and tube now. Either way shrimp where OK, plants will break up flow also.

I have celestial pearl danios at home in one of my tanks and read about the emerald rasbora, when I saw them at a LFS I seldom get to I thought I would give them a try. They are so funny to watch, like little hummingbirds! I don't think I could have picked a better fish for my work tank... Great distraction lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Throw out the stock pump and buy the smallest azoo, plenty of flow, 1/4 size, more room for heater, co2, etc in pump chamber.
find a plastic plug to fill hole below intake grate, this i guess was to help prevent the water level from becoming unequal, but it also pulls in water(this might cause issues with fine filter media so use a plug don't fill it in)
take acrylic/silicone and block the original passage to pump chamber.
drill holes into bottom of filter chamber.
This will make a layered set up similar to a canister layout.
I have 3 aqueon evolve 4s.

·
Registered
789 Posts
In the E8 the stock filter is fine turned down until it fails then sure you can get a cheap replacement that is smaller if you want. I used silicone to fill hole, I take the lid off the tank at work to let water evaporate and then top every Friday before the weekend.

Again, drilling holes is fine but not really necessary. If you using a sponge and other media like I have mine setup, the water is still flowing down and threw the media... If you feel like making physical changes go for it. I would almost think that by drilling holes water is only going to then make contact with with the first little bit of media you have up near the overflow. By using it as is the water flows both down and through your media making more contact.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's an interesting idea to drill holes to pull the water downward through layers of media in the first chamber like a canister. I don't have a drill that will fit in the compartment to drill the holes, but after watching more closely how the water circulates, I think it will work to do a similar setup like Tek Warren did.

API makes a black foam filter pad that fits perfectly (with a small trim) just behind the intake. I left the existing blue divider in as the support, but left the back side open to flow into the next chamber. The water seems to circulate from there downward to the bottom of the second chamber where I laid biomedia.

My only concern atm is whether or not there is adequate water circulation around the biomedia with it just laying on the bottom of the second chamber. Maybe I should bag it and place it higher, using the pump to hold it up?

I'm leaving the carbon filter in place for the first month while it cycles. I already padded the pump, so it doesn't make much vibration/noise. It seems to work well on the low flow setting so I'll keep it for now but good to know there's a good alternative if needed down the road :) Thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.