The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that has this kit, My mother has been talking about a tank upgrade for my Wife, Daughter and I for Christmas. This kit is one that would fit where we would like to put it. The only concern I have is the light that comes with the kit. My question for those who have purchased this kit, What wattage light comes with it? Is it suitable for an NPT (low tech) tank? I know right off the bat the bulb is getting replaced with one better suited for plants, but I am afraid I will not be able to get the right amount of light for my list of low light plants currently in my 10 gal.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The 36 bow uses an odd size of lighting fixtures. It uses 30" fixtures with ~22" to 24" bulbs. That means that the ends of the tank is a little dimmer.

The stock lighting might be 1x20w. Some of the hardy low light plants may survive, but I can't guarantee it. You may want to get a glass Versa-Top Model #20963 and upgrade the lighting.

The 36" bow is 30" long by 15" wide and 21" tall.

If you can, get the 46" bow which is 36" long by 16" wide and 21" tall. If this can fit, it could be a better choice. There are full length bulbs made for 36" aquariums.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that :frown: I know money has the potential to be very tight around the end of the year, so replacing lighting and hoods to help my existing plants survive will not be financially feasible. I really like the bow front tanks, but could settle for a standard 29 gal. tank as well. Looks like it is back to looking around again to see what I can find.

thanks for the help

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
3 of my aquariums are 30" long (20g long, 29g, 37g). Until recently there were Coralife NOT5 fixtures with full length bulbs. Now Coralife has 30" T5HO fixtures with 30" bulbs.

There are one or two recent threads about them. This will help you with the 30", 36g bow front decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts